Nethserver Data Backup Locations

NethServer Version: 7.7
Module: Backup

Greetings Nethserver community! I am new to this community and to Nethserver. I’ve researched many turnkey servers out there and I am greatly impressed with Nethserver. With that said, I’ve decided that Nethserver would be used as my turnkey server.

I am hoping your kind community can help me here. I am using nethserver as a file server joined to an Active Directory domain served by a dedicated Samba 4 AD that is not a nethserver. My issue is with data backups. My nethserver is a guest in KVM virtual machine. I have a USB drive attached. However I have the USB drive attached as local storage for the nethserver vm so nethserver see it as a mounted hard drive. The problem is that the data backup wizard will not let me select a local disk without it being explicitly a detected USB device. Understandably, I then tried to pass through the USB device using Virt-manager which failed. So my only option is to use the USB storage a mounted hard drive to the neth VM. Is there a way I can edit/modify the config file that will allow me to have backups to a mounted local location? Thanks in advance.

Hi Tahaun,

Welcome to the community.

Format the USB with XFS, mount it in a folder ex: /backup, then try to backup with NFS.

I did something like that but using a second disk on a NethServer running under a VM from VirtualBox.

Hoping it will also work for you.

Michel-André

I’ll give it a try. So for clarity, does ext4 not work?

Hi Tahaun,

EXT4 will do the job without problem.

I m not a wizard of file systems. Personally I prefer XFS for its management of very large number of inodes. I ran into this problem with BackupPC which uses a very large amount of inodes. Also I like its management of ACL.

In your case of backuping of NethServer, that is not so important as there isn’t so many files the backup will create. You can specify a large block size to minimize the amount of space the table will take to store the inodes.

For a brief comparaison between XFS and EXT4, you can have a look at: https://computingforgeeks.com/ext4-vs-xfs-complete-comparison/.

Michel-André

Please try with the new server manager (Cockpit), it should list also non-usb drives.

Appreciate all the help.

To take a step back for clarity, here is my setup…

KVM Host.
Storage attached to Host Server:

• Multiple hard disks, one being a USB hard disk.

KVM - Guests

• Samba4 AD
  • Nethserver - Functions on the domain as file server, profiles, user data, etc…
    • USB hard disk is passed through setup as raw/virtio (/dev/vdc). Mounted as /backup

Problem:

• Data Backup module
    NFS:
  • Currently there are no wizards that allow me to access the mount at “/backup”. Using NFS, I must supply a “Host”. I tried to use “localhost”, and the name of my Nethserver. That wouldn’t take.

Local Storage/USB:

• Even though my USB is mounted as a hard disk (/dev/vdc), it doesn’t show in the drop list. There is not a free form text area to supply the path to the mount.

All other wizards are specific to remote which in this case wouldn’t apply.

So the way I see it, there must be a configuration file associated with the data backup module that I could maybe edit to enter an explicit path to the backup folder. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.
:+1:t5:

Hi Tahaun,

From NethServer how-to:
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=nfs

Also:

From my notes which are not complete…

Installation of RPM for NFS

# yum install -y nfs-utils

Services
nfs-server
# config set nfs-server service status enabled access green

# systemctl enable rpcbind
# systemctl enable nfs-server
# systemctl enable nfs-lock
# systemctl enable nfs-idmap

# signal-event firewall-adjust

# systemctl list-unit-files | grep nfs

And some more commands

From my old Virtual Machine from VirtualBox:

To try a backup from the command line:

# backup-data -b backup-data

For the USB, it should works
Destination
USB Disk
Select the backup destination to a USB drive. The USB disk must be formatted with a compatible file system (ext2/3/4 or FAT, NTFS not supported) and a label configured.
Filesystem label: lists connected USB disks. If the disk is mounted, it is marked with an “M”.

I remember that I used the above links for the NFS configuration.

Michel-André