Nethserver as a backup station

No it will not be able to start anything on linux.
It will however encrypt all the data on the shares wher the user will have RW rights.

As long as it isn’t using a bug in the system to get write permission.

This is highly not probable. The crypto viruses are targeted 99.0% on M$ systems.

The possibility is not 0.0% but very unlikely to happen. In all the cases so far the files are encrypted only where the user has access.
So no. The crypto viruses (so far) do not run from M$ systems to Linux (they will require a lot of logic and access rights)

Anyway we are OT with this discussion and slip into security realm.

I agree it goes in security or disaster realm but a back up is the first step for security and we shouldn’t stop thinking there.

I agree that most of them are designed for Windows but if you read the reports it was happen that the whole data of hospital were encrypted, done in Australia. I don’t believe they had only M$ system running.

I meant window network drive with a domain authentication. Once logged to his session a user is logged to all his network shares. If he has RW rights then a crypto virus can encrypt data on the remote server.

I do believe it was the problem in the hospital

1 Like

Have you looked at UrBackup as an option for this?

https://www.urbackup.org

Hi, I’ve installed UrBackup on Nethserver. It seems to work properly. I am testing on a Nethserver with a RAID 5 configuration. I am testing with 5 PC, full backup.
I also tested a full restore in two different cases. Same machine with another disk and a restore onto a different PC. It works perfectly in both cases.

3 Likes

Urbackup is possibly a good candidate but it lacks of clients for linux (rpm based are provided but not for debian/ubuntu)

Rpm for fedora/centos are available

3 Likes

this topic is good to be true… this is a must have on my environment :smile:

There is a client also for debian/ubuntu, of course not in deb.
I’d like to suggest write down some features of both with the intention of draft a comparative
@Adam and @danielecurto already know urbackup while @stephdl Bareos. Does anyone else want to contribute?

I have since switched to a different product for various reasons, but at one point I had UrBackup backing up roughly 10TB of data from 60 Windows clients using a server with 16GB RAM and 6x 3TB HDs in a RAID10. Once initial backups completed, it worked very well. Oh, all of these clients were remote (backup via WAN).

You can find the exact feature list on their website. I just wanted to mention it because I know it works well.

Would you mind creating an howto for urBackup on NethServer?
Your experience sounds very cool!
Can you describe some additional scenarios?

Adam that’s an amazing news! So you can help @danielecurto to show use Urbackup power! :smile:

With great pleasure I will share my (small) knowledge with you all. I need a couple of days to translate the italian HowTo I’ve already wrote.

1 Like

That’s awesome! I look forward to hearing from you.

Hello Adam,
I would like to ask you if your backup via WAN are only incremental or a mix of full and incremental.
Thanks
Enzo

After the initial backup, they were block based incremental backups forever.

1 Like

could be interesting indeed

Already done…

My NethServer instance is my Backup Station, it’s my Time Machine Backup :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=howto:how_to_make_nethserver_os_x_friendly_-_afp :beers:

typically the rpm you built with rpmbuild should be pushed to nethforge or any other repository.

For the Backup Station, I think that Avahi wll be a good help :wink: