NethServer and Exchange

Hi Andy…
Say the domain is company.com
The new nethserver name is neth1.company.com setup after install.
When I go to create “company.com” domain in the email section, I can type in domain.com and forward to ip address say 192.168.1.7 or mail.company.com, but when I click on save, nothing happens and the form stays there…
Thanks

Hi

You can delete the default domain, as shown here. Then create a new domain as required…
This is domains in the e-mail “app”.

Hope this helps…

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi Andy,
I think the issue is that the nethserver is on the same domain company.com, it won’t let me create the company.com domain and forward email to the specified exchange server.

I can create the company.com but it does not allow me to relay to another server…
If I create company.com and then go back and try to click on the relay radio button, the option is greyed out…
Thanks

Hi

Create a “fantasy” domain like mailrelay.domain.tld for the NethServer.
The fqdn would be nethserver.mailrelay.domain.tld
Then the original domain is free and untainted…

My 2 cents
Andy

Hey Andy, OK that works. However, just worried that when email arrives or gets sent via nethserver it will get rejected because of a dummy domain?

Good point, for outgoing, however:

There IS a howto on this forum how to set the smtp helo on Postfix… (NethServer uses Postfix).
This so other mailservers see the name as valid from the outside - whatever it may be…
Usually mail.domain.tld…

Here:

:slight_smile:

Not sure why I received this email from you… The how to you mention is exactly my message in the forum explaining how I did it.

???

Anyway, have a good day :slight_smile:
J.

Unfortunately it does not work here.
I have one NS system A in a VPS with a fixed ip address installed and another NS B sits in the home network. A shall work as mailscanner: all mails shall be checked by A and then forwarded to B. In fact the mails are rejected: recipient unknown.
I have even connected B with the LDAP server in A. So B knows all users and mailboxes in A, but still the mails are not relayed.
Who can help here?

So alpha.yourdomain.org should be the one the VPS, and should handle the email messages for yourdomain.org, and be considered the mail exchanger and written in your DNS server.
And beta.yourdomain.org should receive messages after the mailwashing.

How alpha.yourdomain.org is supposed to deliver messages to beta.yourdomain.org?

By configuring domain in NS A as all mails to be delivered to B.
I used Xeams before and that was never a problem. But after three months I got hustle with the letsencrypt certificate.

This is how alpha.yourdomain.org can receive all the messages for the domain. But how is supposed to deliver messages to beta.yourdomain.org?

Also: which of the two servers is the one written into MX record? alpha.yourdomain.org as I supposed or the other one?

alpha… is written into the MX Record, correct. alpha.yourdomain.org has a permanent ip address.

Thanks for answering.
Then, again: how alpha.yourdomain.org deliver messages to beta.yourdomain.org?
Or is beta.yourdomain.org fetching from the VPS server?

Hmm, that doesn’t work here. The sending mail system says:
“Recipient address rejected: undeliverable address: host mail.hassun.de[/var/run/dovecot/lmtp] said: 550 5.1.1 <r…@ha…de> User doesn’t exist.”
Are all users at the final destination also necessary in the relaying NS? Or how can I tell dovecot to accept all users with an address belonging to this domain?

Hi @rasi

The solution is VERY simple.

In Nethserver Mail, add in a second domain for the second mailserver, and there you can forward ALL mails to Domain B. Here you CAN use IPs…

No server needs to know the others users…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Hi,
I’m not sure if I get you right.
I have now 2 domains in Mail already: example.org and mail.example.org (both to forward all mails to the IP of the final mailserver).
And I also created the final mailserver as a relay host for all mails sent to @example.org.
Is there something too much or is anything wrong?
Cheers,
Ralph

This is wrong!

Do both servers belong to the same domain? This also cannot work!

My 2 cents
Andy

Okay, I deleted the relay host. The two domains belong to the same domain indeed. The MX record points to mail.example.org.
What is wrong here?

The second mailserver is named mails.example.xyz. It collects and distributes the mails to users with a @example.org address.

Mail is defined by the RFCs… And they specify a maildomain, not a mailserver.
Sure mail needs mailservers, but you can’t split it up by the same domain.
One server will in the get all mail, the other will get none!

Ask yourself, if my maildomain is defined by a Domain (mail.domain.org counts as a hostname…), how can the system possibly decide where to forward the mails to?

Why not have a single mailserver with several domains?
Much easier, and works out of the box, especially as you are sticking to the RFCs…

My 2 cents
Andy