NethServer 8: wishlist for the conference

Elastic Search also has an analytics component. Would that be comparable with piwik? https://piwik.org/

And a great collaboration and conversation tool would be Mattermost. (opensource slack replacement)

3 Likes

Modules: WebContent Filter
It should be implemented through the web interface to create and edit black and white lists of blocking / permitting access to arbitrary sites for both individual users and individual computers! Without this, the gateway is not a gateway!

Modules: All modules
Do not install those modules that you do not use! For example, I do not use e-mail and I do not like the fact that amavis with clamd eats my resources!
They eat a third of my memory! It’s disgusting!

Hello,
Modules : docker with ui.

1 Like

If you don’t install the mailserver module you don’t have them on your systems.

Did you see that?
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=module:dokuwiki

What do you mean? You can already customize your white/black list

Yes after I wrote this post I found and installed it, works like a charm.
But why is it only at stephdl-repository and not available at software-center?

This a question for @stephdl :slight_smile: moving on neth-forge is still an available option.

How difficult would it be to include a feature like accessing or mounting a volume from a fiber or ethernet based SAN (Storage Area Network)?

If I am not mistaken, there is a feature to access SANs using iSCSI targets and initiators, so the real question is - how difficult would it be to develop a module for adding and managing that feature?

I realize that this would not be used by the vast majority of the community, but it would help with market penetration in certain areas where this feature would be a big plus.

With SAN (iSCSI) support you would target medium to large size companies. Although it is not the current target, it might well become a target. Don’ t forget that with larger companies, also more support might come around the corner. This can be a great plus, but also a huge risk.

But what kind of volumes can you offer with a SAN? If they are NFS shares, it would be a piece of cake to use it with NethServer. I understand that SAN is a block level device and NFS shares are File level. So in order to use a SAN as NFS share you should create an NFS volume on the SAN.
Same for iSCSI: you have to create LUN’s as targets for an iSCSI volume for a server.

It’s impossible. If a custom blacklist is created for a resource (IP address or user), then how to apply a customized white list for the same resource?
Only one mode option is possible:

Mode
    Block all, allow selected content
    Allow all, block selected content

This is so that the admins are not bored! :slight_smile:

How to give access to one site site.com if the site is in the blocked group “Automobile” and at the same time a customized blacklist is already included, and simultaneously both the black and white list do not work? Sadness :slight_smile:

The interface of the content-filter needs to be properly modified! And it seems to me that you should not be embarrassed to take good ideas from other products.

A post was split to a new topic: Improving modules installed in the Software Cebter

Hello brothers, We are convinced of achieving better accessibility for Nethserver

The living experience of our brother Aaron has turned this desire into an entire master class.

Together we can achieve this and beyond. :relaxed::sunglasses:

4 Likes

A couple of suggestions for…

MODULES:

1. postgres deployer
  2. docker manager or, better, a kubernetes installer with backup service

Thanks

already exists, install nethserver-phppgadmin

thinking of it…I took a look to kubernetes, but I believe/wonder if it is not outside the scope of nethserver. Actually I’m rather playing with portainer

Or cockpit as way to manage docker containers.

Also portainer is a nice choice. Although redhat is actively maintaining and contributing to kubernetes in order for it to be the base of its proprietary container infrastructure. What they still lack is a well defined backup infrastructure.

About postgres and all the rest, yes, in community packages… what I wondered is: there are lotsa interesting packages (like backuppc, ocsinventory, etc.), is there some timeline to make these enter officially supported modules available from software center?

1 Like

For now, they will remain into the @stephdl’s repository.[ Who needs your love]
(Stephdl needs our love ❤) :heart:

6 Likes

What do you think about integrating Horde groupware to Nethserver 8?

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Shared folders connection management UI

More functionality on Web Manager for Samba DC, there should be a way to join an existing domain as additional domain controller from Web Manager

High Availability for services (maybe by using vrrp with floating ip and synchronized configuration)

2 Likes