NethServer 8: wishlist for the conference

It is weird but out of our hands, SOGo is hard coded by the sogo project, you cannot change it, but you can use a virtual host, we have made redirection: domain.com - > domain.com/SOGo

Hard to implement it, we could loose something really important, the modularity of this distribution. Look at the wiki you will find several modules from community developers, look at the minimal version you have installed first, nothing except ssh and apache… Following your need you will add what you missed. Therefore each service is managed by its panel, this behavior is still the same, even in cockpit

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Settings search for Cockpit

Granted, but there really would be value in putting (at least) all the virtual host stuff together–I suggested something similar previously:

2 Likes

I don’t understand, is work on NS8 started, or not? And is it planned to release beta at near future?

No, we didn’t start yet!

@jookk welcome back to our community forums. I am glad you ask questions like these. It is important that we all are aware of the status of our project. I say OUR project since NethServer IS a project for the members and by the members.
Work on NS8 is not started yet, but among others, this thread is created to start talking about the direction our project is heading. Of course there are some major contributors payed by a commercial party. But be assured, Nethesis and the professional developers are as committed to make NethServer the best possible opensource solution for small and medium businesses available.
I love the community spirit and encourage everybody to participate in the discussion. So, please do jump in and come forward with your ideas, wishes and remarks. You will be heard and together we will come to a consensus for all the official supported modules.
Besides that anyone can develop a module he or she needs. There are already a LOT of community modules I am looking forward to even more great services that can be run on NethServer.

3 Likes

I can’t, but @smutje1179 is doing it for me. He’s developing a graphical Wireless LAN Connection module for the gui. At the moment it will be developed for the old gui, but in the future I think for cockpit too.

What I don’t want to miss at the future is a samba ad.

1 Like

Can I intrude with a tiny question related to NS8?
When is it planned to start work on it?

We started with NS8 by starting this discussion :wink:
But I think you refer to NS8 technical development. I think @davidep already did some testing on CentOS8?

I’m sitting in front of a white page :roll_eyes:

Hello

• Service replication :slight_smile: with LDAP, DNS… between two or more servers…
  • Better Authentication (FIDO2)
  • Configuration of services via LDAP (DNS, DHCP, mail … )
  • Blocking of services for users, groups and ACLs
  • Nethserver installation in different VMs

More things like cooperation with other community like XCP-NG (VMs, HA, cluster… )
thx axel

2 Likes

I was referring to a basic install of RHEL8 and/or CentOS8 and finding out that there still are no Samba4AD packages…

1 Like

don’t be worry you won’t be alone to work on it…

1 Like

Your work is really appreciated guys. :smiley:

(speaking for myself - more whining means more support - you see if I believe a project is just cr*p, I would never bother talking about bugs or limitations - I would just ignore it and look for something else)

please ipv6, it is necessary:pleading_face:

3 Likes

That would be nice. In germany it’s very helpfull, because most internet connections are on ipv6, and a vpn is much easier to realize, if the vpn server isw on ipv6 too.

1 Like

As you can see (https://github.com/orgs/NethServer/projects/4), IPv6 is on top of the list. Even if the list is not really sorted by priority, I think it is mandatory to have IPv6. And we should work on it before other features, because they could be impacted by IPv6.

Concerning a schedule, we have no timeline as of today.

I would like to ship a NethServer 8 that takes advantage of new technological features, not a simple “rebase” of 7 over 8. This plan would take longer to complete, but it will (hopefully) bring a better product.

What do you think?

6 Likes

Thanks for explanation Filippo.

You are right with this. I think this is a good way. :+1:

2 Likes

See also