NethServer 8: planning an evolution

No, not quite correct:

Kubernetes is a management tool for large scale Docker deployments…

Sure you can run 1-2 dockers, but also easily 100’000 !!!

:slight_smile:

Kubernetes is more like Portainer, or Docker community edition - all of these “run” Docker containers…

As I wrote above, there is not only “Docker”:
“There are several tools for handling Docker style containers…”

1 Like

kubernete is a container orchestrator, the goal is to start containers at the good time with scalability (add more containers) if needed. kubernete does not use only docker, docker is the well known container type but you have others that can be used too.

A web application container is not made with one docker to answer to queries, but by a group of containers, database and web containers.

Portainer is just an UI for docker, you need to use docker-compose, a yaml configuration file with a software if you want an orchestrator to start a group of containers at the good time, talking together in a docker network.

Docker is a kind of evil tool because you run a daemon owned by root, if a container is compromised then theoretically you could compromise the host.

4 Likes

Since version 2.6 CE Portainer support Kubernetes which works very well and when you see project like k8s at home with all their charts you wonder why you would stick to docker.

For me, and not just for me, k8s is the future’s and ready enterprise skill to learn.
TrueNAS/FreeNAS understood that and decided to make a Debian version of their product and use k8s to replace their jail apps.

But for that I don’t need Nethserver, I simply need to install any linux and then install https://k3s.io + portainer and boom, I’m k8s ready!

I must admit, when @stephdl present us Portainer 2 years ago, I was skeptical almost against, but now I could tell this man is a visionnaire (visionary) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thank you for the hints there is some projects I should follow closely.

ok I think I ended the backend of phpmyadmin/mariadb106, I needed to switch my mind from developer to devops, it is fun I must admit.

two containers launched inside a pod
we mount some volumes needed to store the data

[mariadb3@fedora ~]$ podman volume ls
DRIVER      VOLUME NAME
local       config.user.inc.php      # used by phpmyadmin for custom confi if needed
local       mysql-conf.d               # used by mariadb for custom confi if needed
local       mysql-data                 # store data of mariadb in a specific volume
local       secrets                       # share secrets between container
local       sql                              # store .sql file to create database of phpmyadmin and create the user admin/admin 

The secrets are read by the container from a file (mariadb.secret for example), maybe the agent could create the volume secrets when the add-module is invocated @giacomo @davidep, it is a convenient way to know where are the secrets.

the sql volume is mounted to sql:/docker-entrypoint-initdb.d, this directory is used in the mariadb container to run *.sql or script only at the boot time of the container.

Normally after you have installed the module (port and hostname are validated) you use a user admin/admin to login to phpmyadmin, you have to change the password after the first login.

When you use the cli of the container, the root user does not need to type it password, simply do mysql :

[mariadb3@fedora ~]$ podman exec -ti mariadb-app bash
root@mariadb:/# mysql
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 19
Server version: 10.6.5-MariaDB-1:10.6.5+maria~focal mariadb.org binary distribution

Copyright (c) 2000, 2018, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

MariaDB [(none)]>

I think now I can go to the user interface :expressionless:

3 Likes

:wink: Bash is not needed, right?

$ podman exec -ti mariadb-app mysql

Hi all,

Michel-André

2 Likes

yep workable too … :smiley:

1 Like

9 Likes

13 Likes

Yeahh Steph! Look like you’re taking flight

1 Like

I only want to say thanks to the developers for their work and keeping us up to date here.
You are not only developers, you are also very important for this forum to live.
I’m very excited about the new version.

10 Likes

Good article on the 2. Docker Swarm is the better analogy to kubernetes. Swarm just never took off or had the stress testing and commitment, battle testing and updates that Kubernetes has.

4 Likes

For those interested in podman versus docker and openshift/Kubernetes and docker swarm.

https://www.imaginarycloud.com/blog/podman-vs-docker/

https://www.imaginarycloud.com/blog/openshift-vs-kubernetes-differences/

2 Likes