NethServer 8: planning an evolution

This is understandable and one of the the challenges of FOSS development.

NS is to be admired to do such open development, even if it is in a raw experimental state.
One has to go to the experience stuff does not work on the first fly and most usual these very valuable failures/challenges do not get a public view. :cry:

So letā€™s work on this and get it production ready before EOL NS7 (CentOS7). :beers:

13 Likes

Hi all,

Rocky Linux 8.4 RC1 Available Now

Michel-AndrƩ

2 Likes

I want to invoke Exorciccio (an Italian b-movie parody of The Exorcists)

Thou shall leave this code, evil software!

(sorry, it has been a tough day :disappointed:. No disrespect intended to audience or developers, I donā€™t feel that trust on Wireguard butā€¦ if thereā€™s a big button for ā€œdisableā€ I still will be pleasedā€¦)

1 Like

not sure it will be responsible to encrypt data between nodes IIUC, so if you have one node you do not need it

2 Likes

As an individual I also prefer the Foundation approach,
but as a Business like Nethesis, it might be better to put the base, to partner with a cie :slight_smile:

I love it that things are finally moving.

Would love a container approach (although it seems we shift away from this?) as I could attempt to run it on my unRAID as a pack of containers instead of a full VM.

@NLS

Oh, someone who likes ā€œpayingā€ for Linux Codeā€¦ (unRAID isnā€™t open-source, the USB is closed source due to licensing). And apparently VERY slowā€¦

Also seems that some people think NethServer handles certain things better than unRAID - otherwise why not have unRAID handle this? :slight_smile:
There are, after all, plenty of Containers around, AD, NC, Files, Mailā€¦ But nobody supplies you with any decent glue, to stick the components together and make them actually workā€¦

But each to their own, I prefer running on no compromise Proxmox!

My 2 cents
Andy

It certainly does. But GUI storage management isnā€™t one of those things.

@danb35

And, in my Opinion, neither does unRAIDā€¦
Flexibility, but at what a priceā€¦ Too slow to be of any real useā€¦

And besides, for building a new server - or Storage (VM included) using old disks you ā€œfoundā€ lying around in the workshop? Not my idea of being a cheapskate! (Yet paying for Linux Code!)ā€¦

My 2 cents
Andy

Well, yeah, thatā€™s why my NAS is a 4U, 36-bay, dual Xeon E5 system with 128 GB of RAM running TrueNAS. Though it was a video about an UnRAID system that introduced me to IPMI, which I appreciate. And the presenter was easy on the eyes tooā€¦

2 Likes

@danb35

Did you have any display error on the Dashboard since the TrueNAS-12.0-U4 update?
The CPU / Temp data seems frozen, only updating when changing menu and going back to the dashboardā€¦ :frowning:

Quite agree that Eye Candy can improve a presentationā€¦ :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

You guys realize this is a thread about NS8?
Also I donā€™t remember asking your opinion on why I chose unRAID at home.
I run NS fine on a VM on that very machine.
To add NS was exactly because unRAID doesnā€™t cover (easily) the needs I had to establish a home network.
I would definitely skip NS if I had to. Its DNS service implementation sucks. Its domain controller (SAMBA based) also sucks. But I love many other aspects. I use the best (in MY opinion) of both systems and ignore the rest.

Not because I had to justify anything, but I had unRAID license for more than 12 years (or 15 or something). I quit using unRAID after the first couple of years, tried other solutions and went back to it the last couple of years.
The ability to mix and max disks (and update one by one when I feel like it and need it) and still have parity (AND NO mirror copies) is indispensable to me.
Yes it is not the fastest solution, but is perfectly fine for home needs.
Again, not that I had to justify anything.

1 Like

@NLS

Hi Nick

No offence intended, just my opinionā€¦
And I donā€™t ask nor do I need anyoneā€™s approval for my opinion, which is, after all, only a personal opinionā€¦

But then again, I need this stuff professionally, for clients, so thatā€™s a different venue than pure home useā€¦

And I quite agree that DNS implementation on NS sux, as no CNAMES except for nethserver itself, and many more issuesā€¦ (PTR false, if using A records instead of CNAMES is one of themā€¦).

Samba itself works very well in AD, but some Multitennant issues / features ARE missing. Joining an existing AD and promoting NS is not in the books, although it does workā€¦ But NSā€™s scope explicitely excludes Multitennantā€¦

I personally disaprove unRAID due to the poor performance, but also due to the fact it uses Linux - but does NOT give back anything. Not quite following GPLā€¦

My 2 cents
Andy

I donā€™t approve or disprove Limewareā€™s business and community practices. I donā€™t care at this point (btw one of the reasons I left their product for years when such things mattered to me, but that is beside the point) - I just want to do the stuff I want to do.
And unRAID (plus the add ons, containers and the VMs I have it) does it.

@NLS is right here, letā€™s go back to the main theme.

Even if the the future of NS8 is not written in stone, I want to get familiar with the concepts :grinning:

For starters it seems to me getting to know podman and running/building containers with buildah is a kind of important.

Where can a container-noob like me start here?

Installed podman on Debian bullseye (=next stable) am{d|r}64 and can run/start/login to a (alpine-linux) container , yeahā€¦ :nerd_face: where to go from here, ie further reading ?

IIUC traefik is going to be the router / network-glue of the containers/pods. again : are there links to further reading ?

Redis database seems have a prominent role, can not figure out where/how Redis is utilizedā€¦

In the end, after kind of getting the concepts above can one (noob like me) install a small NS8 service to play with and get more understanding where we are heading?

2 Likes

Cc @davidep do you have some clues to share

1 Like

Hi @mark_nl

You can install Portainer CE.
With it, you can see a lot of things inside all your containers.

I am sure that there is a lot of how-to about Portainer for Debian.

Michel-AndrƩ

1 Like

Hi all, since the last community meeting in February I worked on the ns8 prototype with Nethesis teammates.

Youā€™re right, after one year many ideas around NS8 were put in reality. Thereā€™s still way to go and as Giacomo said above, some important decisions to take, for instance what Linux distro(s) Nethesis will support.

Before we take those decisions, we want to come back here with an alpha, so we can evaluate together.

Iā€™m really happy you are eager to learn and already got some information from the ns8-scratchpad repository.

We strive to realize a platform that is developer friendly, sysadmin friendly and end-user friendly. We are working everyday with new things, like Podman and Buildah. For some core components I learnt a bit of Golang - thanks to my teammates help :wink:

However the docs are outdated and they need to be aligned with recent prototype evolutions. You have to wait a bit more. Hopefully weā€™ll get there in 4-5 weeks.

Iā€™ll be glad to share as much information as possible in a video-conference too!

9 Likes

I bet/wonder the idea behind, systemd to start and stop the containers like I did for example with nethserver-piler. However you need an orchestrator to start several containers to talk together at the good time, I used docker-compose but podman can create the pod itself(inside a pod the containers can use the localhost to share data or connectivity and not a tcp port like you know with a container alone)

The major important things to understand is that the limits that an operating system impose are no longer existing. You have to get another version of a software, you could build a new container with the needed version.

The data will stay ever in the operating system data, containers are binaries and completely ephemeral. The data are saved on your hard drive, you can destroy the container they will stay there

3 Likes