NethServer 8 is landed, finally!

Windows Server still does not support In Place upgrades…

:slight_smile:

you are system admins, you can do the job, a normal user cant.

HAve you never seen some softwares whihc are way too complex to deploy, so that just we can be paying installation and support fees when things break during upgrades

We’re working on an in-place upgrade from NS7 to NS8 but we can’t promise anything at the moment

3 Likes

Wonderful take. But honestly, just implement bei g able to connect NS7 to NS8 and should service most cases. Unless dev have figured it’s as easy.

@mark_nl how’s the ARM progress

5 posts were split to a new topic: Subscription on a Debian based installation

My congratulations and my highest recognition to all developers and other participants !!!

Regards
Yummiweb

2 Likes

Came to NS from ClearOS/pfsense, and was blown away by its features and how easy it was to set up congrats on all the hard work that has been put into this project.

I do have a quick question, will there be an NS8 ISO download in the future?

2 Likes

congratulations to all ! we’ll talk via ticket :wink:

NS8 is the launch of the rocket, in-place migration from NS7 to 8.x would then be the lunar orbit.
This function becomes important for me when I have to migrate my servers booked on one (!) host with one provider.
The moon landing would be if my WordPress installations in a vhost would miraculously work again after the migration. :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Thanks for the new server, to test the migration in this days, YOU COMPLETED IT BEFORE :cowboy_hat_face: Centos 7/x dead :hot_face:.

Question: :thinking: ¿“PHP/Virtualbox” like the 7 is already done? that’s a killer feature Nethsever 7, for a lot of people.

Preparing a laboratory for migrations…

Thanks to the pipiolinos (italians with mustaches!! like Mariobros ejejeje :disguised_face:) for the good news.

IIRC, that’s been gone for quite a while now. A much better solution is to install NS (7, 8, 9, whatever) as a virtual machine under, e.g., Proxmox or xcp-ng, and then create whatever other VMs are needed under that same environment.

3 Likes

Great work guys!
Several translations are missing in some modules (ITA)

I think this is amazing news. I hardly claim expertise but this NS8 looked so amazing in theory, and now a reality. My question would be migration. I havent really used ns7 to its fullest as i have been waiting for this, and i really am only using nextcloud on it at this point. What would be the simplest way to migrate as i would prefer to use Debian vs Centos going forward as i am pretty sure that is an option.

Please help us with translations :slight_smile: it’s really easy

1 Like

NS8 is a very nice product. I’m not really using it’s other capabilities, but it’s authentication systems are perfect. thank you much for releasing such a competent product!

2 Likes

Install at the end of february 2024 an OS which will have securty updates up to june 2024?
I don’t agree with the definition “much better solution”.

@pike

Please READ the post before you complain about installing an EOL OS.

The issue is using “PHP/Virtualbox” on NS7, which is a dead toy, in my opinion.
And NEVER was a class A Hypervisor, unlike Proxmox, VMWare ESXi or Hyper-V.

NS7 is already installed and running, and DanB even suggsts using NS7,8, whatever, but on a REAL Hypervisor.

So it IS a better solution.

My 2 cents
Andy

Yes, obviously installing an EOL OS was the point of my post. Just like installing an OS that doesn’t exist (NS 9).

2 posts were split to a new topic: In-place upgrade path