NethSecurity project milestone 8.2

We are excited to announce the release of NethSecurity project milestone 8.2 with image version 8-23.05.4-ns.1.2.0. This release focuses on new features for subscriptions and improved user experience.

:fire: Release highlights

NethSecurity 8.2 brings several new features and improvements:

Firewall objects

NethSecurity now includes host set and domain set objects for enhanced firewall management. Read the announcement for more details.

Free Threat Shield lists for community

Our firewall now provides free Threat Shield lists for community users, enhancing overall threat protection. See the announcement.

Remote backup for all subscriptions

Remote backup access has been extended to both Enterprise and Community subscriptions, with additional backup information. See the a announcement for more info.

:white_check_mark: New Features and Improvements

• Update to OpenWrt 23.05.4: NethSecurity has been updated to the latest OpenWrt 23.05.4 version, with relevant package and core changes.
  • New script to update packages: A new update-packages script has been implemented, with enhanced logging and a force-stable flag.
  • Objects support in MultiWAN, Port Forward, and Firewall rules: Objects can now be used for source and destination addresses in MultiWAN, Port Forward, and Firewall rules.
  • OpenVPN Road Warrior IP reservation: Improved handling of reserved IPs in OpenVPN configuration to prevent conflicts.
  • Backup package list: The list of installed packages is now included in backups for easier restoration after image upgrades.
  • Let’s Encrypt certificate on web interface extra port: Let’s Encrypt certificate usage has been extended to the ns-ui extra port.
  • Custom DNS for hotspot: Support for changing the default DNS for the hotspot feature has been added.
  • Limited support for USB-to-Ethernet and USB-to-Serial adapters: Experimental support for these adapters has been included, requiring manual driver installation.
  • OpenVPN tunnel server “remote-cert-tls”: The “remote-cert-tls” option has been added to exported OpenVPN client configuration files to improve security.

:arrow_up: Updating NethSecurity

Since this release includes an upstream update, the only valid update method is the full image upgrade.

Full image upgrade

1. Go to the “System” section in the UI
  2. Use the image-based upgrade procedure
  3. Select the new NethSecurity 8.2 image

This method updates the entire system image and will show the new version number in the dashboard.

:warning: Subscription updates will be blocked during August 2024. If you have a subscription, you will find the new update available directly from the UI since September 2024. :warning:

:bug: Bug Fixes

Over 15 bug fixes are included in this release, addressing issues with certificates, DHCP, reverse proxies, ConnTrack, MultiWAN, and more. The detailed changelog can be found here.

:question: What is NethSecurity?

NethSecurity is a powerful, open-source Linux firewall designed to simplify network security deployment. It offers full-featured protection and an easy-to-use interface.

Choose your preferred Subscription Plan

A NethSecurity subscription ensures that your deployment is backed by top-tier technical expertise and the support necessary to maintain your organization’s security infrastructure.

Subscribing also grants exclusive access to the Enterprise repository, which includes Automatic Updates, advanced DPI Applications/protocol detection, and VPN integration with LDAP/AD user databases.

:point_right: Get it now

:rocket: Help shape NethSecurity’s future

Your feedback is invaluable as we continue to refine and enhance NethSecurity. Please share your thoughts, report issues, and suggest features by opening a new topic in the NethSecurity category, using tags like Feature, Bug, or Support.

:point_right: Download and use it! :point_left:

7 Likes

Lots of updates for NethSec… Indeed “green” was correct at last, as is for NS8.

I’m not pleased of all the defuse and deflection I received from community manager when i wrote “stop doing marketing, start talking”.

Nethserver is shaping up to become a great prodcut.

I really wish you can kindly workout a very good (Fancy) hardware to go with it.

Hi,

I’ve upgrade to 23.05.4-ns.1.2.0 with a image that i’ve downloaded, but now the update doens’t work any more
Also the older image file is an newer version

1 Like

I can confirm this issue and I think it’s because of the subscription. Maybe we need to wait until the new image is officially deployed to subscription users…

Here just to confirm that repositories for subscription users are frozen to the 28-ish of July. Will un freeze on September

Error is due to the package manager looking for a missing folder (AKA the new 1.2.0)

2 Likes

Ok. I’ve restored to previous image with 1.1.0

Was nice if this was announced in the post.
Gladly i’d a backup

If you’re a subscription user, I’d stick to the updates provided by the UI.

Any updates done manually might break up compatibility with subscription repositories, which might not be easy to recover from, which is why from the UI no prompt has been given :smile:

Hmmm… why do we have the option to update with an image file?
Also, when you reinstall, you use the latest release that is on the download site.
If I’ve a subscribtion, this is not the right release to use and should i use in this case 1.1.0. Or is the problem only when you update from 1.1.0 to 1.2.0 and not with a new installation?

Many reasons, such as: “try this build that fixes the issue you’re facing” or “reinstall the version to fix a broken file”

The issue is that on the enterprise repositories there is no software for the ‘1.2.0’ :sweat_smile:
The official release for the subscription section will be made available when August ends.

1 Like

You’re right, I missed that.
Just added this note:

Subscription updates will be blocked during August 2024. If you have a subscription, you will find the new update available directly from the UI since September 2024.

Nothing really breaks: you will just hit the cosmetic issue in UI.
We will try to address it on next updates. thanks for reporting!

3 Likes

Glad to help by reporting what i’m facing by using Nethsecuriy as an user

2 Likes