NetheServer As Main Server

(Pablo Perez) #1

Hello Everybody.

This is my first topic and I’d like to apologize if the topic like these has already discussed.

I’m using NS 7.4 and I have the following doubt

I have 1 database server, 1 e-mail server and 1 file sharing server and I’d like to know if I can integrate then with Nethserver making NS the main server and using he to administrade the database, e-mail and filesharing servers using the NS user to administrate all of them.

Thank you.

(James Nesbitt) #2

Hi Pablo,

If you install and setup NS as the replacement server which runs as the database server, email server and file server (all-in-one) - you effective reduce the number of servers you have to maintain down from 3 to 1 and you can use NethServer to administrate and manage all 3 of the functions.

If you’re looking for a single NethServer administration interface to manage 3 other servers - now that is a different issue and I’m not sure if that is possible right now without a whole lot of customisation.

(Pablo Perez) #3

Hi James.

Thanks for your reply.

Was the last paragraph you mentioned that I’d like to know, the customisation will be necessary to make NS a single interface to manage 3 others server.

I don’t know if is possible to include this feature to be discuss on a new version of NethServer because NS is very robust and a great all-in-one solution

(James Nesbitt) #4

Yeah - that one is beyond me unfortunately and that is a whole lot of work, don’t even think its on the roadmap (I’m sure the NethServer Dev Team and @alefattorini will correct me if I’m wrong here ) and my guess at this stage is that its something which you would have to be developed either develop inhouse or get a 3rd party to develop

(Filippo Carletti) #5

AFAIK, cockpit enables administration of multiple servers from one web interface.

(James Nesbitt) #6

Ah, thank you @filippo_carletti! Something I did not know and something new which I have learnt today.

/me makes a mental note to hurry up and look more into cockpit