Neth on ZFS root filesystem?

I do also use Proxmox, but some People do not have this option.

Even if we disclaim ZFS, we need a better way to choose SoftwareRaid-Options during the Install !

What is the problem with choosing software raid during install? I have done this a LOT. And frankly I think it is a matter of getting experience with the way Anaconda handles disks. Even if you just want to get that experience, it can be done with Virtualbox. Just create multiple vdisks and use them as part of 1 or more raidset(s).
For instance use 2 disks with raid 1 for / and 3 disks with raid 5 for /var/lib/nethserver (yes you have to manually add that mountpoint.) It is no rocket science and I think it is quite straightforward already.

But as any new feature, I would applaud any attempt to get ZFS available on NethServer. :clap: :clap: :clap:

OK, you’re talking about installation; I was thinking about management once the system’s installed. Both important things, but orthogonal issues. And Proxmox isn’t any better in terms of management of the pool once the system’s installed. So really, integration should include:

• RAID configuration on installation (ZFS or LVM, RAID 0, 1, 5, 6 or ZFS equivalents) - looks like the most the current system does is takes the first two disks (if at least two disks are present) for RAID 1.
  • Show RAID status on the dashboard for ZFS (it currently does for LVM)
  • Basic volume management for both ZFS and LVM–at a minimum, providing a robust GUI to handle disk replacement - current system has nothing at all for this.

I don’t agree. It’s better than simply ext4 on bare disks (or LVM), but it still misses many of the benefits that running directly on ZFS provides–I mentioned some of those up-thread. It also effectively cuts your available storage in half–you really want at least 50% free space when you’re using ZFS primarily for block storage (i.e., for zvols, which is what you’d be doing with Proxmox). And there’s the overhead from the virtualization layer to consider as well.

True, if you let Anaconda do it’s job. If you want anything more fancy, you have to manually create raidset(s) for your NethServer install. That’s what I referred to as being no rocket science.,