Neth 8 AD IP and baremetal on a Thinclient HP T730

hello Everybory

Now was a lill bit of time to test Baremetel install of Neth 8 on a smal Thinclient with 4G RAM 512GB SATA SSD, and a 4 Core embedded AMD Prozessor. Fist privat homeserver use …

I neet a AD, fileserver, nextcloud, mail… Later a plex server. for more functionalitys i will start more Cluster-notes.

sorry i am not an expert o container :frowning:

First i like the concept, my idea is using the HP as a head of a Cluster and bigger Apps had there own Nodes. So i hope to fix the high eletric power bill !

The installation with a small debian server installation was easy.

I am a lill bit confused aboud networking (Neth 7 had a own DNS/DHCP) now this service is external ? The node get 2 networks 192.168.38.x and 10.x.x.x . The 10.x.x.x ist for container comunication.

So my AD get his own IP4 in 192.168.38x like in the 7.9 version and same Domainname ?

Later i try to install the nextcloud Modul and now i am hanging …
How to config the FQDN nextcloud.sub.domain.example and withch IP ? Did i need a external DNS?
DNS for both Networks ?
Next how i can handel diskspace ?

when i undersand this i will buil a small setup manual

but i like the style and the concept !

thx Axel

PS can be helpful to hv a own category for Neth 8 install and testing

sorry i am confuesd !?

I took the time for a fast CPU comparison.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/2496vs1099vs4637vs3716/AMD-RX-427BB-vs-Intel-Pentium-E5400-vs-Intel-i3-11100B-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-3300X
First one is the APU of your thin client.
Second one is the CPU of my crappy server test.
Third one is a 80 euro CPU two generations old
Fourth one is a 90 euro CPU three generations old (more or less comparable with 4100 and 4300G).

If you wish to play with NS8 not less that last cpu -30%
Your thin client, IMVHO, is good only for NS7. According to hardware reference guide, a PCIe 3.0 slot is available on the riser and the chassis can accomodate low profile cards, so a I350-AM4 can be easily accomodated on the expansion, allowing to create a really nice multi-WAN router with still 3 physical ports to play on.
Unfortunately the storage is not the best possible options (NGFF SSDs of “big” size I’ve found only Three Colors Dogfish from Shenzen) but 512 gb is not that bad…

hello Pike

if the same function get so mutch more CPU power and add least elektic energie that is the wrong direction. If the base of NS8 running on Raspi4 it shoud run on a T630 or T530. With a microPCI card i can expand to three NICs. Be shure it is only a minimum test for the head. The price by 70€ without SSD is mutch lower than Raspi now. It is long term running Hardware with low consumtion and fixes resorces.

My results now with a AD and installing Nextcloud in background

the T630 can handel 32G DDR4 SODimm had mostly 2 SATA SSD Ports and a MicroPCIe Slot (WLAN Modul inside now) The SATA SSD had NVM formfactor one short one Long. price by 512 G 50

I can respect and agree with the goals but, in my personal opinion you’re going in the wrong direction.

First and foremost, compare ARM vs x86 is a matter of OSes: in the future ARM will completely wipeout the x86 architecture because is more modern, flexible, tweakable in the design and can be re-designed from the ground up anytime needed due to the RISC roots. I don’t know if really RISC-V can become soon product, “freeing” electronics from royalties and patents but… it is a even longer road than ARM.
However, the x86 corral is still not there: unless there’s at least some project behind, ARM won’t arrive on general purpose hardware for become a product; of course there’s this wonderful unicorn called Raspberry Pi, but still an extremeli niche product.

Next, your assumption “If the base of NS8 running on Raspi4 it should run on a T630 or T530” is formally correct but in reality not. Can, but should not, in my opinion.
Containers request the power on top of the operating system, and NS8 acts like a container orchestrator, allowing all asserved computers to run containers for the integrity of the system. It’s pretty interesting concept if you can have more than one hardware and you want to start a service, end the configuration, test it, then move it from the lab hardware to the production hardware. Also, containerization allows to have services and applications just like dongles: OS provide computational power and connectivity but as software they won’t share that much, allowing a lesser degree of isolation than a VM, but an higher one than a service. Sorry for the “lecture”, maybe you already know all of that.

However, to run the underlying OS and the containers computational power is needed; a bit more, from two to three times at least than the one of that thin client in my opinion.
Which could run beautifully CentOS7 and NethServer on top and i know because a Nethesis provided PCEngines.ch APU2 units as Firewall devices; 6W against 35W of TDP, but the efficiency is still nice.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5050vs2496/AMD-GX-412TC-SOC-vs-AMD-RX-427BB

Again: keep your hardware, but try NS7. If you feel the urge for NS8 IMHO you need more horsepower under the hood, and the suggestion i made about CPUs were related to performance goal, not explicitly to that hardware.

If you’re into thin clients, t740 can be a more interesting option.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5050vs2496vs3574/AMD-GX-412TC-SOC-vs-AMD-RX-427BB-vs-AMD-Ryzen-Embedded-V1756B
With a Ryzen-based embedded CPU, for less than 30% more power delivers close to three times the computational power, double the threads, supports DDR4 (so more performance for less consumption). As T730 allows to add a PCIe card, and if you don’t need extra network connection, maybe a PCIe to NVMe adapter could give you more room for adding storage (the provided eMMC module is quite useless) but consider to check before take the faith leap of “it will work”.

With a t740 in my opinion the testing of NS8 could be a viable task, even a home/soho installation if storage is not the primary goal.

Sorry to nag you with all my assumption and ideas, i hope that time reading at least was not considered wasted.

1 Like

Pike the 730 and the 740 is mostly the same but mutch better for a DIY router had a complet PCIe slot !

and i love the PI the doing thre Homework with FHEM very fine. But 150€ for a PI4 4G or 8G is to mutch.

the T640 need 6 Watt and 25 Watt playing video

The best is i do not have to buy one for my experiments, if is not running no problem let it be a router or a Kodi or Plex … if it runs as the AD and Cluster head with no other Function it will be okay also

the wrong direction meens newer software with the same functions must have lower consumtions …
If not something is wrong (prim energie)

I completely disagree with this statement, I’m sorry.
t730
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04853546
t740
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06437903

Still thin clients. Still HP. Still AMD embedded chips but a whole different gameball.

and i am sorry too
i get a 630 4core DDR3
and my test object is a 730 …
the 740 is a real fine Thin client and a nice Linux desktop
with 4 Displayports and space for a graficcard or a bigger 4 Nic Ethernetcard.