Net drives sometimes fail (server with alias)

NethServer Version: 7.6.1810 (final)
Module: shared folders

When I try to map network drives from Windows 7 clients to the new Nethserver’s shared folder sometimes it works if I use the real hostname, but sometimes it fails. And the same when using it’s Netbios alias.

Both hostnames (real and netbios alias) are configured as A records in our DNS.

In Nethserver I’m using Active Directory authentication and Windows clients are setup in workgroup mode.

BTW, I haven’t figure out how to enable logging, samba creates files per client hostname but they are empty. log level value is on 3.

Any idea of how may I isolate this problem? TIA,

Seb

Do you use the NS as DNS server for your windows clients?

Nope, I use a different server.

So, your windows client does not know where to go when the FQDN or Netbios alias is used?

Your windows client DO use that DNS for (internal) resolving hosts?

If not, you either need to use a internal DNS server (with NS added) for resolving internal hosts, or add NS to the hosts file on each client.

Yes and it works, tested with nbtstat command and nslookup.

If I try \netbiosname it works, if I try \netbiosalias it works too.

But sometimes users who have mapped units (ie K: → \netbiosname\folder) can’t connect, but if they try \netbiosalias\folder they connect. And viceversa, mapped netbiosalias folders fail but connecting to netbiosname works.

It happens randomly… that’s why I’d like to solve logging problem, I’m somewhat blind at this moment…

Seb

Why you can’t use NethServer as DNS server for your network?

Of course I could do it, but I have a Debian gateway doing the job…

Seb

If your Debian gatway can be instructed (Bind, unbund, dnsmasq, whatever) which is the lan IP of NethServer, in few hours (cache expire of the clients) the issue should be solved.

Otherwise, you can use NethServer as DHCP and DNS server, providing your debian as default gateway.

Thank you for your help,

I thought I made it clear that - as long as I understand - name resolution works perfectly well, both using ntbstat (NMB) and nslookup (DNS)

I’ve attached a couple of screenshots. Commands were run from a VM. Same result when commands were executed from Windows hosts.

exe

Server’s hostname and alias are ‘patoruzu’ and ‘almacen’ respectively, and it’s connected to the LAN only (green network)

HTH U to help me :smile:

Seb

Assuming that Windows client is configured as DHCP client, would you please try to use nslookup after using a ipconfig /flushdns on the Windows PC?
Also… two subnets? Would you please explain how 172.16.1.2 and 10.0.3.3 are related? I also see an 192.168.168.0 subnet but i am getting… confused. :roll_eyes:
If you are using a virtual machine, keep in mind that “bridged” maybe is the best option of networking between host and guest. And also, for troubleshoot this LAN issues, IPv4 of the guest should replicate (if possible) the settings of a network client.

1 Like