Multiple SOurce versions on Software Center on NS8

I Have always wondered and been curious about a given situation and scenario in relation to having, implementing and allowing for mulitple versions on the NS7 Software Center.

Looking at this recent discussion here: NethServer 8 · GitHub

reiterates this question, and i think i should bring it to the community to discuss on the same.

Similar to Nethserver 7, I have seen and noted with some concern, that we seem to be following an angle of Making use of the latest version of the given software.

WOuldnt it be easier and much better if a User could, from the software Center have the capacity to Install different and or multiple versions, or even a required version of the given software, instead of the latest available or provided version.

In my view, this will

1. remove Upgrade constraints from the Developer
  2. Avoid pitfalls we had in NS7 before

this is because this is supported.

So, we could have botj published eg. Nextcloud 27 and Nextcloud 28, a user can chose to install 27 or 28, and equally, they user can chose to upgrade to 28 from 27 if they so chose, or leave as is.

this would also apply to multiple other software as well, especially those that have major milestones between software releases.

SHouldnt this be an angle we can look at having?

I understand what it might in some capacity add some support constraints, but i am Only talking about the Underlying Containers, the NS codebase could continue being Updated.

I had looked into this case, where two Published version numbers are offered, the Challenge for me to wrapp my head around at the moment was, how to handle cross versioning Upgrades.

IF i have a Dedicated nextcloud 28 version and a Dedicated NExtcloud 29 version available

the if a user installs the 28 Version, that will always remain 28 and another one 29 version, that will always remain 29 version, IF we have Example Nextcloud Latest, that always has the latest available version, How could the User Running version 28, cross update to version Latest, (i hope this analogy makes sense)

IF we could discuss this issue, and come to a solution, i beleive it will solve alot of challenges i see the dev team Having between version releases, and when to or not to Update question.

PS/ is does not have to be different instances versions available, it can be the one, with available drop down for choosing what version can be installed, or should be installed

Food for thought
Martin

1 Like

I don’t really think so.

NethServer is not only aimed at developers - most server users just want to “use” it, and don’t care if a software needs a specific version. It either works or it doesn’t. And all always ask for the latest version…

Adding in the hassle of coupling the right version of (example) NextCloud with the matching version f MariaDB would already be “overloading” the average user here…

See the issues with Roundcube on NS7… (Several versions available, including LTS and not LST).

That’s life!

And to be honest, only a dev thinks of having more than one operative Nextcloud!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

I just want to point out that this is already possible manually on CLI by editing the environment file images or installing a specific app version.

I have some doubts about this feature in Software Center.

• I’m afraid of more different support cases as people feel save doing things from Software Center
  • NethServer aims to be simple to use
  • At the moment it seems we’re all trying to solve things to get more stable and I’m afraid such feature goes in the opposite direction

I like the feature (it worked for Zabbix from 6.0 to 6.2) but I think it’s better to have a “guided” simple Software Center, at least for now.

4 Likes