MS Server Replacement

Zabbix pictures reveal private information about your company network layouts, I’d be very cautious to post that publicly.

@royceb

Hi

I’m fully aware about that. Most aren’t accessible from Internet, edited, so only private IPs are shown, no available URL (except maybe Google) displayed…

And some networks are “time bombed”, meaning they’ll be there for less than 12 Months…

The rest is rock secured!

:slight_smile:

I am a network / systems administrator for 30+ years!

But thanks anyways!

As the old saying goes, a picture sometimes says more than 1000 words…

My 2 cents
Andy

I’d like to pinpoint also IBM/Lenovo (public firmware updates, without subscription, as HPE is asking now) and Dell (which are CentOS certified anyway).
But i can confirm that Proliant, with a good UPS, are quite die hard…

@pike

Also agree that Dell / IBM-Lenovo are good Brands.
Specified those three, a client came in with a big, old heavy Siemens-Fujitsu crap…
That box was REAL sh*t…
Couldn’t even install Proxmox or VMWare ESXi… (buggy Controller)

My 2 cents
Andy

OT I had to fight some years ago with an Acer server with a Sony-Based AIT tape drive. Won’t do the same mistake again.

@pike

Somehow I don’t think the AIT Tape was really the problem (Used those too…)…

Welcome to the best community on the internet. Nethserver can replace an MS SBS server no problem at all. A lot depends on the services you are using, if you are after a active directory server/file server then yes and then some. If you also want to replace your exchange server then yes also. I have done it for many MS servers and the learning curve for users has been minimal. You don’t really need to know too much about Linux unless as you can do most of it via the web interface, it’s just about learning different and better ways to do things.

…unless you want a desktop application that replaces Outlook, in which case you’re out of luck.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Zabbix monitoring - network map

Most Managers don’t care what’s behind Outlook…
Change the rest of the world, but don’t take away their Outlook!
At least there’s some (commercial) plug-ins which can let Outlook use NextCloud for adresses and calendars!

My 2 cents
Andy

Outlook can talk IMAP just fine… so the MS lovers still can use outlook. However, I prefer Thunderbird…

1 Like

@robb

Hi

Quite agree with you. MS Outlook can “speak” IMAP, but with a heavy accent. :slight_smile:
It can’t handle CardDAV or CalDAV well.

Thunderbird is my choice of mailclient. It does connect well with IMAP and Nextcloud (SoGo CardDAV Plugin and Lightning).
But one of the coolest features of Thunderbird isn’t very well known (to be honest, also not that much needed or used…): The Local Storage, especially if used on a MultiBoot Box or Notebook, is fully compatible for all supported OS. Put that on a FileSystem all OS can read, and Thunderbird is current on all OS, even with it’s local storage!

Tried and used it with Mac (Hacintosh), Windows 7, Linux (SuSE)…
Worked surprisingly well!

My 2 cents
Andy

I use Thunderbird for 20+ years now. Have done LOTS of reinstalls of my linux pc’s and laptops. Only thing I ever needed to do is copy the .thunderbird directory in my Home dir and after OS reinstall simply copy back the .thunderbird dir.
This .thunderbird dir has moved along over several distributions and still going strong.

2 Likes

It’s getting Worse. Outlook 2010 was “not enough, but nice”, Outlook 2013 worked better (i were able to choose folders, and some other things).
From 2016 it’s getting worse, far worse.
Ignoring WebDAV (CalDAV, CardDAV, which are making the success of some payed plugins), Outlook Unicode PST files are fare more reliable and BIG than the “smalls” local storage of Thunderbird, still limited to 4gb par folder (sometimes works for bigger files but i won’t suggest anyone to try) and also can be detached, copied, attached, filtered, managed in so many ways that Thunderbird, without nice plugins, cannot evenly imagine.
Filtering, rules, and routing (into folders, forwarding, copy, delete) is much more powerful in Outlook, and if you’re using not only the devil (client) but also the hell (Exchange) they are transformed into server rules… Thunderbird cannot remotely spare to transform client filters to Sieve filters.

Please, be kind and don’t get me wrong: i love Thunderbird, it’s my personal first, second and third choice, and it’s always and ever my first crossover suggestion for everyone. But for some things, Outlook it’s far better.
Calendar, sync, Address book, form creating, integration to it’s own application server. Simply bigger, older, better.

But not so well connected (as someone stated before… IMAP, certificates, *DAV). And the “easing” setup of recent versions quite… don’t meet my favor. Office 2013 will be “soon” put out of support (April 2023), so it’s not the best suggestion for anyone who’s looking for a email client.

Getting back to something useful: Outlook and Thunderbird installed on the same PC can “easily” translate a big PST file into Local Storage of TB, which can be used for feed IMAP folders. Only on LAN, please… via WAN it’s quite not viable (unless you have a HUGE capacity of connection)

@pike

Seeing it from a distance, it’s also still MUCH easier, say for a script kiddie, to misuse an Outllook installation on a current Windows than an equally current Thunderbird on Linux to distribute his Sh*t!..

Also a lot of enterprise stuff using Windows have too much 32Bit VBA stuff still running in the background… Still today! Just finished upgrading a doctors practice, and their software demands a current office, but running the 32 bit version for “Integration”…

With Office 2019, i wonder how many people had to uninstall the 64 bit version, and look for the 32 bit (hidden in a subfolder…) - happened to me too, the first time. The earlier versions asked you which one you needed…

But as you say, sometimes you can’t evade the devil, and the client is king!

my 2 cents
Andy

Yes and no. You can’t blame a software when the bad side is on king’s side, the customer/client.

Sometimes it’s needed to re-invent the wheel, and VBA stuff was made in a time without security concerns, without certificate and digital signatures of the code. So “disable all that stuff of security and run the software”. Or it’s 64bit time for the apps, you say the customer “time to rewrite the code” and the answer is “it’s working, no need to rewrite; are you gonna do that for free?”.
That’s not fault of the software. And believe me… Linux as Windows, Outlook as Thunderbird, with enough crap inside, both can be a really pain in the butt. Evil is stupidity, not proprietary software.

Sorry for a too-long OT.

@pike

Agree with a lot - and I’m NOT against proprietary software…

Personally, I like the term “Best of Breed”, if that’s available, and the price is ok, I’ll choose that.

If the client requires an Exchange Server, I’ll install the clients requested version of MS Exchange on the latest Windows Server it’ll run on - for Exchange, that IS best of breed.
If the client requests a “Groupware” Server, that’s another story…

Virtualization: Requiring a MS-Windows Server to “Administrate” Features of a Linux based virtualization OS is in my opinion NOT a sign of best of breed - it can be though, in a MS based shop…

If in architecture or design, I’d choose one of the major commercial tools available, NOT open source, as primary tool. Like in this country, the state often requires that drawings are in a VERY specified Version of a certain 2D CAD company, Version and Subversion are specified. A competitors product, even if it can read/write that format well, just won’t cut it…

But I agree with you, evil is stupidity and not proprietary software…

My 2 cents
Andy