Moving (?) from Zentyal to nethserver

Whoa, good point :wink: happy to hear this

Like it, please add a new feature request about. You can use “Reply as linked topic function” on left side

Are you speaking about this?

Please create a new topic on Feature category

New software center has already this functionality, check:
http://www.nethserver.org/nethserver-6-6-released/

Thank you so much friend, this kind of feedback tell us that we’re on the right way!

Alessio: Blacklists are installed in Zentyal from the UI by uploading a blacklist file. NethServer’s approach is a better one, having blacklists built-in. You can always SSH in and add your own blacklists if you wanted something different, and NS does let you create custom categories from the UI, but I was referring to allowing a user to upload an entire list from the UI. Not a big deal.

Filippo: Yes, as soon as I get some time I want to try to find out what is killing the software center. I’ll report back.

Filippo: I don’t want to hijack this thread, but when I do yum update I get the following error:

Loaded plugins: changelog, fastestmirror, nethserver_events, presto
Setting up Update Process
Determining fastest mirrors
YumRepo Error: All mirror URLs are not using ftp, http[s] or file. Eg. Invalid release/
removing mirrorlist with no valid mirrors: /var/cache/yum/x86_64/6/centos-base/mirrorlist.txt
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: centos-base

For some reason the mirrorlist.txt files are missing from centos-base and centos-updates, but they are both there for nethserver-base and nethserver-updates. Any thoughts on what might have deleted those files?

Hello… I see there’s many users have move from Zentyal to Nethserver (or are looking for an alternative).
In fact, that’s why I came up to here… I’m a Zentyal user, since version 2.0, about five years ago I guess.
Since then, I’ve installed almost 30 servers, but now, we need to go away, and migrate (or not) some things.
The basic problem is that the gateway functions has been removed from the server, and also, the performance of the 3.5 and above versions are bad (in some aspescts).
For example, the proxy server is a turtle server. And now, there’s no more proxy.
It’s sad for us to leave, 'cause we’re have invested a lot of hours, and we have many clients that use Zentyal, but it’s a taken decition. What we are watching out, is the new server.
Nethserver is very interesting; however, Samba4 is not a part of the server, and there’s a few of samba4 implementations that would be necesary to migrate, and right now, it’s not possible.
In all the other things, I’m absilutely shure that we will give a try!

(sorry for my english!!)

4 Likes

Samba4 is kinda bloatware :stuck_out_tongue: and still is not considered stable enough.
Also, if you want to implement Samba 4 you need to implement a huge number of workarounds to mess with MS stuff.
It’s a really really big effort: Zentyal had to leave behind all other modules to focus on Samba 4.

We do not want to do this for now. Please search the forum for other articles related to Samba 4.
The only viable option is a dedicated virtual machine or container but also this solution requires too much resources.

But, if anyone has a strong know-how on this and want to share ideas (and a good/solid implementation), I’m ready to help!

1 Like

I moved 5 posts to a new topic: NS parallel to the Zentyal AD server

I know that Samba4 is still under development, and that also Red Hat doesn’t take it yet.
I don’t know if Zentyal leaved the other modules because of that, anyway, that’s a fatc right now.
May be, we can work with both servers in parallel, and, once the samba4 is incorporated, see the migratin effort.
I think that, in the future, Samba4 will be a “must have”, but the time will tell. In my opinion, it’s important in corporate enviroments, that can be moving from MS WS AD to Linux (Nethserver!).

Cheers

Just wanted to add my 2 pence as another Zentyal refugee looking for a new home.

I reluctantly upgraded to 3.5 despite it removing a couple of features that I used, but thankfully were easy to replace with native Ubuntu versions. However, the direction that Zentyal has taken since before 3.5 to move away from a network gateway server to be a Micro$haft Exchange replacement has forced me to look for alternatives. All I’m looking for, is the sharp front end for an internal network to connect to the “big bad interweb”, which is what Zentyal are shying away from now.

I’m not really interested in what version Samba is installed, as long as it does what Samba was designed for: To integrate Windows sharing technology in Linux.

And to a couple of replies earlier in this thread, with Zentyal 3.5, or at least what I’m seeing, is that the automatic notification of updates has gone away. You have to go to the Dashboard and select the components option to see if there are any.

As soon as my ESXi server is back on-line, I’ll be running some serious testing to enable me to leave the Zentyal world to be the Exchange fan-boi they aspire to be. Good luck to them in that arena.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Ehi @EddieA hanks for sharing your story and welcome aboard! Please, could you describe yourself here?

Someone else would like to update us on his attempts to move from Zentyal?

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: Any news on the new groupware?

I moved 12 posts to a new topic: Migrate users from Zentyal (3.x) to NethServer

Hallo,
most of arguments I’ve reading on this page I found the same
I’m a new nethserver-user - but no LINUX-greenhorn I hope.
Used LINUX since ~2000 first suse, then change 2004 to ubuntu > debian. Cause of this way I’m testing Zentyal since Version 2. And now I though, time is ripe to use it in productive environment (craft producer elektro). But at first I’ ve seen no backup-tool in actual zentyal 4.0/4.1. Thats why using 3.5. But the same problems like other users:
A little feature was tricky (sent email with Blackberry10), but not to find a way out of this.
Searching for a better complete SBS-LINUX-Server and found nethserver6.6 with all features I need.
A little downer:

1. no debian-base , , but the most of all looks similar.
  2. no GUI on server … GUI=it’s better to administrate in “working office”

I will try with EPEL (or so - source handling is new for me) … then login > startx > midori > https://localhost:980 or so -
bye-bye zentyal …
good morning nethserver

1 Like

I wrote about x-windows installation here:

1 Like

Hi @rowihei , happy to see you here.
could you please introduce yourself replying to the topic below? Who you are? What you’re working on? where you are from?
Your favorite thing to do when you’re not at work. Thanks :wink:

Can I ask why you need a GUI? WebUI is not enough?

Like this, we should push this aspect: NethServer as a real SBS linux server alternative.

NethServer as a real SBS linux server alternative.

Not only a alternative. It*s much better. :smile:

Regards

Uwe

1 Like

Hello,

I don’t want to be “Devil’s advocate” but I saw some remarks, not quite true (no backup, no logs, …) regarding Zentyal.

I think that a good comparison between products, will make NethServer better, “Probably the best … AiO server in the world”.

Guiding me after “A picture is worth a thousand words”, I put below some images with some modules from Zentyal.

1 Like
  1. GUI on Server
  • in little offices are only 1…5 PC and the users “have to work”
  • If I use the PC of another, I’m a “barrier”
  • they often don’t like, if I use my own notebook … (you transfer something ?)

it’s better to be “clean”

• I think startx > openbox > midori, thats enough - → look slitaz 40MB-iso (installed ~ 150MB)
  • I’d like to use htop on server to make a “start screen” = “look,machine is doing something”

We already did the move 8 month ago here´ś´óúŕ´how to: Moving from Zentyal 3.4 DC to NS7 DC (AD) at a medical institution
hope that helps

3 Likes

Let’s attend Thomas’s talk at our Conference on this amazing migration :slight_smile:

1 Like