Move nethserver 7 to other pc

NethServer Version: 7.9.2009 (final)
Module: move to other pc

Hello, my pc on i have installed nethserver is had a malfunction, but the disk is new, i have a new pc, and i need to know if is posible simply take the disk to new pc, or i need make a new instalation of nethserver and then moving the files, please help me.

It should be.

Yeah, should be good because it is a linux, I often moved the hd or copied it with dd

My first migration from a server to a vm has been done with dd too

In any case, after moving the hard drive, you should have a network check on card/zone assignments.

3 Likes

Thank you all, I will try this change, and then I will tell you how it went,

In addition to the problem with the current pc, I need to change it because the online editing of documents with collabora is a bit slow, this was always the case, even when the pc was new, I think the slowness is due to the low RAM (8GB), I think…, if you have any advice on the characteristics that the new pc should have, I would appreciate your recommendations.

1 Like

Please check if high CPU load or RAM (swap) or disk IO is responsible for the slow Collabora.

More RAM is always a good idea and it depends on the applications that are installed and on how many users are working with it but I think 8 GB could be ok for home/small business environment. 1 GB is the minimum requirement.

1 Like

Thks for your time, the cpu is CPU model 4 x Intel® Celeron® CPU J1900 @ 1.99GHz, maybe is this?

Nethserver is installed on one SSD disk (240GB), the free space is more than 60%, what do you think?, the problem maybe is CPU?

The apps installed are:
Backup
Basic firewall
Collabora Online (CODE)
Email
Fail2ban
FTP server
MariaDB (MySQL)
NetdataReal-time
Nextcloud
OpenVPN
POP3
Roundcube
SMTP proxyFilter SMTP traffic with ClamAV and Rspamd
SNMP server
Threat shieldBlock attacks using IP blacklists
Web filterSquid web content and virus filter
Web hosting
Web proxy

Nice as gateway, without IPS/IDS and some other heavy modules. Nothing more.
PassMark CPU Lookup (cpubenchmark.net)
IMVHO you should aim around 4k into this benchmark to run all the modules you’re using.
Also, don’t forget that realtek NICs use much more CPU than “better ones” like Broadcom or Intel.

2 Likes

I appreciate your recommendations very much, I will be attentive to the parameters that you indicate of the NICs, do you think this machine (Intel QuadCore i5 6500T 3.1G, 16G DDR4, SSD disk) is good for all modules i have installed?

IMVHO it could be enough for starting, but don’t forget than network adapters could “eat” a lot of CPU availability, and the user number could change the “snappiness” level from good to acceptable in 15-20 users above 30.
IMVHO again the single core increase will be the most noticeable, paired with the boost due to faster and “in clock” memory modules. Which will partly reduce the increased CPU consumption due to change of TDP.
Also don’t forget that speculative execution mitigation will also eat some of the CPU raw power.

Thank you, then I will tell you how it went with the change of equipment and if it improved

1 Like

I am interesting to use little computer like this for gateway, I still not got time to achieve this, indeed this CPU is maybe a bit slow, or really for a home. The second CPU is also a little computer we can find on aliexpress and co I mean this

@stephdl

That box / CPU may be a bit low powered, but if you want to use VPNs, it will be REALLY slow. The CPU has no AES-NI…

1 Like

@stephdl

I tried last night to install NethServer on a PCengines apu4d4 board. Quad Core AMD, 4 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, but NO VGA output…

I could NOT get it to install, the serial output stopped after clicking on Unattended Mode, and no writes visible to the SSD… :frowning:

Try again tonight…

The box itself is running OPNsense, and can handle OpenVPN and IPsec very well.
I have a second, spare box, I wanted to try NethServer on…

My 2 cents
Andy

This board:

https://www.pcengines.ch/apu4d4.htm

Front: spare, Back: My OPNsense firewall…

1 Like

These boxes had been already used by Nethesis. And we are OT…

Reconfigure the NICS will be needed.

I think even Windows based you can do this nowdays…

I am using 3 ZBOX CI323 nano for a Proxmox HA cluster. On Node 1 I have implemented a gateway with NS.

I bought these devices on eBay for 90-130€ used

40 clients within my LAN use this gateway.

@capote

Hi Marko

And are the Bluetooth usable in Proxmox? :slight_smile:

I think a max of 8 GB RAM for a Proxmox node is way too little RAM for virtualization!
But for the price, i suppose you can’t complain!

My 2 cents
Andy

I don’t know, I don’t have an use case for Bluetooth in my VMs.

8 GB RAM for a Proxmox node is way too little

That’s my Node 1

Sincerely, Marko

Hi

On their Website I just read that box you mentionned above only supports a max of 8 GB?

-> Most likely in that case 8GB / Socket…