Mattermost SMTP settings are wrong after first run

By the Way the email settings (SMTP) were not correctly configured. There is probably room for improvement there.

1 Like

Isn’t it set to localhost which should work?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Nope. It didn’t work ootb. I don’t remember what setting was configured however. Indeed, localhost/25 works without authentication.

You’re right, I think you found a bug so I moved it to a new topic.
It seems Mattermost defaults to localhost:10025 now in the config file but Neth only fills empty config entries so the wrong value is kept and the correct localhost:25 is never set.

I think we could move the SMTPServer and SMTPPort settings to the first run above without the if_not_empty check. This way it would be set after installation and could be changed if needed and won’t affect already installed instances.

2 Likes

Sorry for the delayed response.
Thanks for reporting, this is indeed a regression.

What should be a good default? If the mail server is installed, we could use port 10587, but what about if mail server is not installed?

What do you think @davidep?

1 Like

If the system does not provide a local SMTP server we could fall back on the default smart host settings. If they do not exist and if mattermost allows it, use the sendmail command.

It neither a default smart host nor the sendmail command are applicable, configure a SMTP server from the UI.

1 Like

So what are the default settings?
Mattermost has a wrong default for our configuration.

It doesn’t support sendmail so we should do with SMTP configuration. I disagree to expose SMTP configuration: we automatically configure all applications which need such options, why Mattermost should be an exception?
SMTP configuration for Mattermost should be automatic.

If /etc/e-smith/db/configuration/defaults/postfix/access exists, it means that nethserver-mail-common is installed and we can use localhost:10587.
What about if nethserver-mail-common is not installed? What is the right default? Is it better to use localhost:587 or localhost:25?

1 Like

Effectively localhost:25 seems to be listening and accepting messages. Go with it, no authentication and no special config for smart host is needed.

I was wrongly thinking that port 25 was closed without mail-common. Instead mail-smarthost is always installed and provides enough basic config.

You could always try to use port 25: relay is always allowed from 127.0.0.1… :thinking:

3 Likes

Issue open: https://github.com/NethServer/dev/issues/6273

3 Likes

Fix released!

3 Likes