Matrix-Synapse with WA bridge: media sent from Element not downloadable

Hi all. With some help of @mrmarkuz I have the WA brdige running on my Matrix-Synapse instance. All seemed fine, however since some time, when I send media (photo or video) from my phone with Element client, people with Whatsapp can not download the media. They only see a blurred picture.
Any hints how to troubleshoot this?
I have Element version 1.5.25 installed on my (Android-LineageOS 18.1) phone
Anyone else experiencing this behavior? Maybe after an Element update?

I checked the WA bridge support room and was advised to update the bridge.
What would be a safe way to handle this? I’d rather not loose any contacts/room info

I think best way would be to follow Bridge setup with Docker - mautrix-bridges ??

I tried the docker-compose update. The shared secret authenticator module wasn’t found after the update so I removed the lines in homeserver.yml but now I can’t send photos anymore. :worried:
I need to dig deeper…I’ll report as soon as I got a solution…

Yes, usually this is the update procedure:

cd /opt/synapse-docker
docker-compose down
docker-compose pull
docker-compose up -d
1 Like

It looked like the update process went ok, untill I started the containers again.
I got this error message:

Error response from daemon: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint synapse-docker-synapse-1 (ba5dc8991807c29e37322fc04cb499935f945d2e992a5b1bf581487a0772aa1a): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 127.0.0.1:8008: bind: address already in use

Would this mean the port is used by another proces? Or is it the previous container that still is active? (hence the -1 addition in the name of the container)

Please check which process uses the port:

[root@server synapse-docker]# netstat -tlpn | grep 8008
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:8008          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      10193/docker-proxy
1 Like

synapse-docker]# netstat -tlpn | grep 8008
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:8008 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 20796/python3.6
tcp6 0 0 ::1:8008 :::* LISTEN 20796/python3.6

looks like python is taking that docker port?

Hm, it seems the old native version of synapse came back somehow.

Please try

systemctl disable matrix-synapse --now

or

kill -9 20796

to stop the python process and then

docker-compose up -d

that seems to work… no error message starting the containers
I do need to authenticate my Element client, but I don’t have any logged in clients anymore.
The option is to use a secret. What secret is that? Did I get that when creating my matrix account? (any way to reset that?)

1 Like

Usually you got a security key to verify, if it doesn’t work you may reset all but you’ll lose all encrypted communication.

EDIT:

After “reset all” I was locked out of Whatsapp due to violation of terms of use…need to check that…

EDIT2:

After shutting down synapse-docker I was able to use Whatsapp again immediately. I logged out and logged in again in the WA bridge and now it’s working again.

1 Like