Manual configuration of DHCP

NethServer Version: 7.7
Module: dnsmasq

Hello,

We have a local network with several Vlans and i need to set up a dhcp range for each one from a netheserver machine that operates as controller. But since i cannot do this from the cockpit gui i need to add the configuration manually. The problem i have is that the configuration files are regenerated every time an event occur and i lose the manual configuration. Is there a way to prevent this?

Thank you!

EDIT: I am afraid it turns out i run out of time in trying out things and there is also the same issue in making ip reservations. I will have to move the dhcp on windows instead of using nethserver.

That being said the ability to add more than 1 dhcp range into a single network interface would be a nice feature. It would solve my issue and allow me to use a nethserver installation as a DHCP.

As far as I can remember, this is the first feature request of this kind.

I’m also not sure that dnsmasq supports such configuration, you should try it manually.
To make a quick test, configure a the range for a physical interface, than change /etc/dnsmasq.conf and restart the service systemctl restart dnsmasq.

Just experiment a bit and see if this is a viable solution :slight_smile:

Well I found this:

So a similar thing has been asked before at least once.

Yet doesn’t mean it is a good setup to allow for multiple dynamic IP ranges in same subnet.
Similar effect can be created by splitting using reservations (although you need to explicitly define them).
Windows also support superscopes.

In any case, dnsmasq seems to limit us in various ways (also very restricted DNS) and I wonder if it should be scrapped for something richer in NS8.

I did try it editing the configuration files manually and worked great.
Doing sth similar to this:

The issue was that any event that would trigger the configuration files to be regenerated by nethserver overwrote my manual changes. And i had also similar issues with the reservations.

I think it is definitely viable.

1 Like

You can create a template-custom for it: Templates — NethServer 7 documentation