Manual Backup like in SME8

NethServer Version: 7.3.1611
Module: BACKUP

Hi,

I’ve been migrating my SME Server to NS, many things are more comfortable then before.
But what I’m missing is the possibility to make additionaly a manual backup (in SME in the admin console), which is a full backup in one tgz. This fix named file had the advantage of easy handling… - I used it as a second backup once a week…

As I don’t like to invent the wheel a second time, I’ll ask, if someone has created such script or it exists already somewhere in the NS…

Best regards
Martin

Hi Martin,

you can do it with backup-data and backup-config.

For more information you can have a look at
http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/v7/backup.html
or ask us :smiley:

Dear Michael,

thank you for your fast response.

I’m already using backup-data, I configured it in the GUI for daily - diff - backups.

But I’d like getting an additional full backup in one file, when I’d like to…
If I change backup_config then it changes also this daily diff backup.
Or - is it possible - to create an additional config? (How?)

Best regards
Martin

The issue is not only how to create a manual backup to an usb disk but also how to restore it.

Ns has removed the support of the console, you have no ways to do it like before

I saw two solutions

You might adapt you to the new os and its philosophy

You could try a command line, but at your own risk, think to try the restoration also.
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=howto:useful_commands#backup

The rsync cli could be used to backup the files and folder to wherever you want…be aware never tested in a real environment

1 Like

Another idea is to work with nethserver in a vm which supports snapshots.

Thanks a lot for the advices - adapting to a new philosopy is always a bit tought.
Throwing away concepts, which are working for the last 4 years isn’t the first idea, you get into mind…

Why? What’s the purpose? Why do you need a unique file?
It’s “additional” or “unique file” the point of the discussion. Help me to understand, please.

During the last years with SME server I was used to make nightly diff backups within automatism of SME. These backups were stored on a external disk. Once a week I started during the day a manual backup on a second external disk, which is normally stored off site.

Now, with NethServer I configured the full-backup for the day (in the week), when I’d like to make the copy to the external disk to store it off site. So I’ve adopted my routine - and my question at the beginning of the thread is solved…

1 Like

Thanks for your confirm. Would you like to be connected with other SME server users?