Manage Windows like Linux with Ansible?

Is someone of you using ansible ? - Manage Windows like Linux with Ansible

What do you think abt ?

1 Like

Maybe @syntaxerrormmm can comment on this?

I use Ansible daily on Linux machines. Still, last time I tried with Windows machines it was PITA, since a lot of stuff he said it is there by default really wasn’t (PS 3 for example, WinRM required a download and 2/3 updates that required reboots) so it wasn’t really feasible.

Thanks for the video, I appreciated a lot. We were waiting for SSH on windows, maybe this is not needed anymore :wink:

1 Like

OK, good to know to have an expert here… I am just on the beginning to inform myself abt ansible… How many machines do you control with ansible?

Ahh… I like the cherry pick win updates part:

Not so many, really (let’s say about 100); our main use of Ansible is to configure machines right after first installation with our specific standards. Plus, in a different project, we employ it to make sure all the Linux machines inside a laboratory are (and stays) correctly configured to work in a NT-level domain environment.

But I look into building a custom patch management system for our customers (mainly Windows machines) with the indications you shared and AWX project. Having a unique console that reports the updatation status of all your servers (for all your customers) and being able to update all your servers without doing manual work on the weekends would be super-cool :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would like to install Ansible AWX on NS 7.8. Is Someone also interested to do it or can point me into the right direction?

@syntaxerrormmm
Can you help?

Would love to help/develop that, would be yet another great tool in NS’s sleeves.
The main issue here is that I don’t have time for yet another project, sorry :confused:

If the project takes on, please add me to the thread, would love to follow its development and at least test something if needed.

I tried to install AWX based on this HowTo: install-ansible-tower-awx-centos-7

And got this error:
TASK [local_docker : Start the containers] ***************************************************************************************************
task path: /root/awx/installer/roles/local_docker/tasks/compose.yml:45
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {“changed”: false, “msg”: “Failed to import the required Python library (Docker SDK for Python: docker (Python >= 2.7) or docker-py (Python 2.6)) on infra04.mydomain.lan’s Python /usr/bin/python3. Please read module documentation and install in the a ppropriate location. If the required library is installed, but Ansible is using the wrong Python interpreter, please consult the documentation on ansible_python_interpreter, for example via pip install docker or pip install docker-py (Python 2.6). The error was: No module named ’ requests’”}

PLAY RECAP **********************************************************************************************************
localhost : ok=14 changed=2 unreachable=0 failed=1 skipped=95 rescued=0 ignored=0

That’s the interesting part of the error trace. When I tried the official guide on a Debian host, I had similar issues. Although, just retry installing the package python-requests first.

Package python-requests-2.6.0-9.el7_8.noarch already installed and latest version

Which version of python you have on the machine (python --version)? Which version is the installer using? I suspect the installer wants python 2.7 (which is also installed on a NS machine I just checked and updated) but you have 2.6.

[root@infra04 ~]# python --version
Python 2.7.5

Can you see the issue now?

OK and what can I do now on NS?

Can someone help with infos howto install ansible on Nethserver 7.9?

Tried to install it with this HowTo: How to setup Ansible to manage Windows hosts with Centos 7

But if I try to update pip the following error came up:

You can try to upgrade setup tools before

pip install --upgrade setuptools