Maltrail addon as a possible new feature

Hi All,

I simply love Nethserver and think that the extra applications are a god send

I was looking through an install at a friend’s place and he runs Opnsense
One service he showed me in great depth was Maltrail
https://github.com/stamparm/maltrail

I found it to be a fantastic tool to help me find hostnames and IP addresses to block that were malicious but not necessarily a part of any lists

I thoroughly recommend having a look at this

Maybe there is a reason it isn’t implemented but thought I would post it here and see what people think

Unfortunately I have no programming experience so I won’t be very helpful if integration takes a lot of work but I would love to try and test something

Kind regards,
Ben

3 Likes

Hi @benaus. Good to see you have found a promising addition for NethServer.
Even when you claim you can’t help because you have no coding skills, I think otherwise.
We have a quite straightforward way of adding new features.

• do a feature request (you just did YAY!!) In this feature request you describe what the new feature does (you already did, YAY!!) and we discuss if there is a need for the feature and if there are any alternatives. We will continue with that in this discussion.
  • do an install on NethServer and document this. You can start a new discussion for this so others can track and help with installing the new feature
  • create a full howto. This is more or less the documentation you do of every step during install and configuring the feature. When the howot is 100% reproducable, create a howto inb our wiki.
  • Final step is creating the module/rpm Even without coding skills you could try. I am sure our @dev_team is more than willing to help here.

So next step: are there any alternatives that do the same or similar?

Some pointers: I see most sources to install maltrail on BSD based systems (Opnsense is BSD too) There is a install howto for Ubuntu 1804 I didn’t find any info on installing on CentOS7, so it might become a challenge…

5 Likes

Sounds good

I will try and install it on a Centos 7 VM and see how it goes
I will document that and then work on a Nethserver VM

While doing this I will also check out any alternatives out there which may provide similar functionaility but have documentation for Centos installs

I will update in this thread @robb if thats alright

Kind regards,
Ben

3 Likes

Excellent, thank you!

1 Like

Hello! Generally, there’s should be no problem on MT installation for CentOS. The single dependence for MT work is to install python-pcapy package: from CentOS repo or by pip install pcapy command.

For example, here is an algo by installing python-pcapy from pip:

1.1) To install packages: epel-release, gcc, gcc-c++, python-pip, python-devel, libpcap-devel, git

• Command: yum install -y epel-release gcc gcc-c++ python-pip python-devel libpcap-devel git

1.2) To upgrade python-pip

• Command: pip install --upgrade pip

1.3) To install python-pcapy package

• Command: pip install pcapy

1.4) To install maltrail from git-repo

1.5) cd /maltrail

1.6) Do python server.py + python sensor.py commands.

5 Likes

2 @benaus Hello! If you have a little bit of time, please do tests\checks for pip2 and pip3 varations. If everything (or one of variants) is\are OK, I will bring description of algo above to official doc of Maltrail. Thank you!

1 Like

Hello, everyone!

Now Maltrail is also avaliable as the RPM package for wide set of RPM-based Linux distros, including CentOS 7, CentOS 8 and CentOS Stream: Show home:k_mikhail / maltrail - openSUSE Build Service

Feel free to use, modify, propose changes/updates.

Thank you!

P.S. From post above: “pip install pcapy” ← now “pip install pcapy-ng” is in game.

1 Like