Mailserver restore

NethServer Version: 7.6.1810
Module: email, backup
Hi All I have my nethserver email server up and working have configured several cleints and have set up both config and data backup.

My question is in the event I need disaster recovery my install is backed up because it’s a VM but what exactly would I need to restore in order to recover all mailboxes to the latest backup point? (I imagine this is a combination of both config or is it just /var/mail, I’m not sure)

Thanks in advance

All mails are stored inside the data backup.

So in case of disaster recovery, first restore the config, then the data: http://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/disaster_recovery.html

Feedback on the doc is welcome! :smiley:

Hi,
Ok I don’t have a completed backup file to look at yet so perhaps I’m not seeing the full options at the moment but I’m just seeing the option to select specific files or directories so how do I perform a full system restore?

Apologies if I’m missing something obvious.
Thanks for the reply and your help thus far.

When using old server manager you need to run restore-data -b <name> to do a full restore.

That’s awesome thanks, also just took my first look at the new cockpit sever manager looks really nice :slight_smile:

do you confirm that full restore is working?
to perform the full restore what kind of backup do I have to do previously?
thanks

Hi,

In a sightly awkward position in that the mail server is in use so can’t test the restore until I have some user down time probably in a holiday period but I can certainly see the restore options in the nethserver-cockpit interface and the command line option seems pretty straightforward so I’m not expecting any issues.

I’ll update this as soon as I can though.

To do a full backup you need both configuration backup and data backup, the data backup is installed as a separate module through the software centre.

I’d highly recommend using the new server manager to perform backups and restore as it’s much more detailed and user friendly.

1 Like