Linux goes to school with NethServer

I would suggest to start from Moodle, which is simpler (from what I’ve seen) to install.

+1. On the development part, I see the following points:

• Clarification on what type of ibay configuration to implement (web server root/folder/what else);
  • Definition of parameters to implement in the web configuration interface for Moodle (from zero parameters to full configuration within interface. I would like the first one best ;));
  • On the previous two points, build up a basic interface for Moodle configuration;
  • Creation of the RPM including dependencies (mysql, for example), Moodle base files and NethServer configuration pages.

Currently I’m quite busy, but I would very much like to collaborate on this.

Thanks, regards,

[Edit] - the same steps applies also if we choose to start with Chamilo. Yes, I would like both on NethServer, but if I have to choose somewhere to start, I will start with the simplest one.

Very much recommended, indeed. NethServer is simple to manage once installed and it has inside OwnCloud, which [will be integrated in the near future][1] with LibreOffice Online (replacing MS Office 365 with a local solution and not on cloud).
[1]: https://owncloud.org/blog/libreoffice-online-has-arrived-in-owncloud/ “will be integrated”

1 Like

Hi @robb, Hello tribe[quote=“robb, post:15, topic:3105”]
any educational topics? Where are we, as a community, standing to use NS in schools? What can we do to progress?
[/quote]

On this subject there is a very interesting point which in the case of my country is the learning curve that Debian users are leery, which has been, for my promotions NS, terrible resistance point .

IMHO, NS for schools is a practical and robust package that can provide stability in our educational platforms worldwide, especially if we set different options scalability from their applications.

This is what has given me more strength from the proposed school servers, where even Nethserver was being evaluated as UTM against PFsense.

With the support of the tribe would love to facilitate this way and overcome with the power of free and liberating knowledge that resistance .

We’re still on time

How can we win this point? What do you need? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank Allesio for consideration. :slight_smile: :thumbsup: :

The following observations are not intended - at any time - a critique of distributions based on CentOS and much less our Nethserver. It is simply the summary :clipboard: of an analysis of some of the reactions that my brothers from Venezuelan people and a few Latin American (mostly Debian distributions fans ) have expressed about the possibility of “test” NS .

1. The first reaction is resistance to leaving the comfort zone to do aside apt and deb for yum and rpm for example, which has a technically well-argued reason (in my level of baby :baby: developer I accept these differences from CentOS, or from Arch and even Puppy Linux).

2. Second - and almost predetermined reaction - is dissatisfaction for lack of any alternative to the editor Vi. At this point, usually begin speeches about the simplicity of the Nano editor, well defended ‘swashbuckling’ :crossed_swords:, with the threat of leaving their comfort zone. (IMHO I think we can consider adding another very simple editor as an alternative to powerful and lightweight editor ‘Vi’ which will bring us some debianites with curiosity a little more awake, allowing them to keep at least one foot in your comfort zone )

3. Third but not last I think our NS could do with a Cheat Sheet - as have other distributions - where the most used commands are present and may include some shortcuts for installation and some basic information for managing editor ‘Vi’.

For those who are not professional but has heard about the NS Tribe, this simple guide (Cheat Sheet) it promises to be the starting point for a new area of ​​interest on our side. Especially for those who are comfortable away from their fears about the strange and unknown that could actually be :sunglasses: different, interesting and fun.

For reference, this baby developer in the short time, has found some short guides that have helped and encouraged to continue to build a model of ‘school intranet’ based on Nethserver.

A great friend, Gentoo user, who knows about the resistance to change that I have received from my team , and knows the initiative 'linux at school ’ from Nethserver told me a few days ago for my haste

"I like more long-term solutions . Have patience and perseverance "

Soon I will be in three cities with the Congress of Free Technologies http://www.ctl.org.ve/ctl/, which provides nationwide. I take a paper about the School Intranet and never fail to mention this tribe.

Also during the next 2 weeks I will visit two other cities for three days training, each one, about the school intranet. It would be the 4th and 5th cities for a total of 9 I should visit .

That’s why I’ve been a little absent.

Hugs to all

1 Like

I’d like to give some comment on your 3 points. I am .deb guy (Ubuntu) too. But more and more, the .deb vs .rpm reason seems a bit a non-argument. I mean, what is the difference in applying an rpm instead of a .deb? As long you don’t develop the packages yourself, I don’t see a difference.
2: if you don’t want vi, you still can use nano. It is available for centos. For smqll modifications i really appreciate the easyness of nano.
3 A cheatsheet would be great. But what would you like to add? Would it be centos specific things or only NS specific things? And what should be added what not is clear through the web interface? A good cheatsheet is only 1 or 2 pages. Maybe we should do a little brainstorming on what we can do to create a good cheatsheet.

I hope you can do some advocacy when you visit those converences.

Finally, if you realy wantvto break through in the educational world, I think you need a lot of functionality. Out of the box support for a cms, email, student management system, e-learning, authoring tool etc…
All these applications are available, but need integration to NS with SSO.

As soon you return, I very much like to discuss this with you and hear what you found out during your travels.

1 Like

Thank you so much Robb .

I agree with you. As I mentioned, points 1 and 2 consider simple excuses that fall under its own weight, but it is always the same speech. Moreover moments and places to try NS have given only where there is no internet connection! :unamused: … hands tied :arrows_counterclockwise:

The team has focused on applications and leave aside the important SSO/LDAP, perhaps for a short time to start the first phase of training that includes only the management of applications available on the intranet as an educational resource .

I will take into account to discuss it this week, before the CTL, with my team and the excellent group of tutors with whom I share training.

Excellent! Thank you.

Hey Adriàn glad to see you around!
thanks for your insights, I appreciate your effort and commitment!

Regarding the Cheat Sheet I suggest looking to this simple guide about db commands on NethServer by @stephdl very helpful
http://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=howto:db_command_tutorial
Please let us know if you need more info

Do you have any talk there? Would you like to become a NethServer Ambassador in Venezuela? Let me know what I can do for you: stickers? slides? shirts?

@robb I think that we need to move forward with the moodle module, can you fill a new github issue?

1 Like

I added a new issue for moodle. https://github.com/NethServer/dev/issues/5037

Maybe I should add one for Xerte online Toolkits too. Http://xerte.org.uk/

Good!
the Bounty is Open! :roller_coaster:

• Do you want moodle easy to install e configure? Post a bounty
  • Do you want to support the school project development? Post a bounty
  • Do you want moodòe on NethForge ready to install by software center? Post a bounty

Looking to you: @syntaxerrormmm @Jim @mikabeckerich @apradoc @gecco @Wolfgang_Hofer @tramamo @MyDarkFire @rothere

Please let me know if it needs to modify the issue description

More info in this post

2 Likes

Cool! I put in $10.- for this bounty… Who follows? And starts working?

Maybe @syntaxerrormmm or @enricobacis can lend a hand with this

@robb I afraid that you have made a donation not a bounty. I don’t think that we can easily move from one to the other

EDIT: I take back everything I said. @robb I can move it quickly :slight_smile: let me know if I have to go on

1 Like

Would love to, unfortunately I am quite busy at the moment :cry:

1 Like

Just put it whereit can be used best. It would be great if the bounty system starts working. To me its not that important on what module, as long it is put to good use.

So… Anyone wants a free beer (or coffee) jump in and start working!!!

2 Likes

Épale Alessio!
I 'm glad to have a short time to return

At the moment it’s very, very, very helpful! Thank to @stephdl

That’s positive Alessio. During those three days I will be teaching how to use the School Intranet applications (1st phase of training for tutors and teachers). Starting then also talk about the configuration that will be the school server with Proxmox VE and told them that one instance is for the intranet. At that time I take and talk about the brief history of Nethserver, about software, about our community/tribe, about our brother @robb with Linux for School and other projects. So I let the audience interested in the subject:

Neth … what? :confused: What did you say?.

The problem as I mentioned is their comfort zone: Debian

Finally, I told the audience, thanks to Proxmox VE we could have there quietly Nethserver and I invite them to try

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: It would be great! jajajajaja. We agree then what would be the strategy.

A hug to the tribe

1 Like

moodle 3.0.3 requires PHP 5.4.4, MariaDB 5.5.31 or MySQL 5.5.31 or Postgres 9.1 or MSSQL 2008 or Oracle 10.2

It is incompatible with ns6. Moodle 2.6.11-2 is available in epel6 for ns6

@robb Does it is an issue ?

Hi stephane, thnx for pointing this out.
2.6 is not supported by moodle anymore,so Idont think it is a good idea to use that version.
We are still on moodle 2.8.5 at our school. But I think it would be great to have moodle 3.x in NS7.
When the time comes to go for moodle 3.x we absolutely must have a solid migration path.

For now, (on NS6.7) moodle 2.x should be ok.
/edit I see the latest supported 2.x branche version is 2.9.5 https://download.moodle.org/releases/supported/
I think i should have a look at updating our install… :slight_smile:

Well, for one thing, I suggest focusing our forces on NethServer 7 and the last version.

2 Likes

At least it would avoid the hassle of migrating from moodle 2.x branche to moodle 3.x branche.
But before we do anything let me investigate the major differences between those 2 branches. Maybe we should stick with the 2.x branche due to useability. I need to dive into the moodle community and read some reviews.

2 Likes