Linking each module to its documentation

Hi,

I must say that Nethserver is documentation is really great, much better than most of the open source solutions one can find on the net. I believe that each module should have a help button that provides a link to the full documentation.

What do you think ? I could help if needed.

Matthieu

The Help button is already present, and shows a brief documentation about the shown pageā€¦

Are you saying it should point to the online manual?

Yes exactly !

The ā€œinline helpā€ page purpose is describing the UI parts in few words, to help on figuring out what each control does, whilst the online doc should help on configuring the system as a whole.

Being inline means

• itā€™s always available, even without Internet connection
  • itā€™s (at least should be) bound to the page version itā€™s describing

Cons:

• keeping it up-to-date is quite boring
  • its translation workflow isnā€™t based on Transifex, like the UI labels and online manual

My proposal is:

• Add a link to inline help page pointing to the online manual
  • Implement Transifex workflow for inline docs /cc @dev_team @translations_team

@pagaille what do you think? Can you open a couple of PRs to add those links?

3 Likes

Yes! There are so many times where I asked questions after looking at the inline help but neglecting the online manualā€¦

3 Likes

All right, Iā€™ll open the PR during the holidays. Thanks @davidep and @planet_jeroen I feel less alone :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think that without an internet connection not having a doc is one of my last problems :slight_smile:

I agree with the proposal. Less effort, always updated documentation, transifex compliant

2 Likes

I did a first step here : https://github.com/NethServer/nethserver-backup-data/compare/master...pagaille:patch-1

Iā€™m afraid that transitionning to transifex for the translations is out of my reach at the time being.

Currently the documentation links to the ā€˜latestā€™ version of the documentation. Is it an issue ?

2 Likes

Iā€™d go with ā€œv7ā€ instead because ā€œlatestā€ is for development

1 Like