Issue with Duplicity backup

NethServer Version: 7.9.2009
Module: Data-Backup

I do have a latest NethServer 7.9.2009 with all available updates. I have an issue with Duplicity backup.

I do use an USB disk backup, configured with full backup on Friday evening and incremental all other days, keeping 3 weeks backups with automatic removal/delete of older backup files. The backup works as advertised until reach the 3 weeks and then it fails with the following mail message:

Blockquote
Backup: bekap_aktivnost
Backup started at 2021-08-24 20:05:01
Pre backup scripts status: SUCCESS
mkdir /mnt/backup-bekap_aktivnost: File exists at /etc/e-smith/events/actions/mount-usb line 63.
Can’t mount /mnt/backup-bekap_aktivnost
Action ‘backup-data-duplicity bekap_aktivnost’: FAIL
Backup status: FAIL
Log file: /var/log/backup/backup-bekap_aktivnost-202108242005.log

If I want to repair it, I do have to delete the backup, create a new one in he web admin interface and start all over again until breaks again. It is a new USB disk (8TB), formatted with ext4, few weeks backup works without issues, free space more than enough. I don’t have an idea how to overcome this issue.

Any idea or advice?

It seems a file with the same name exists and that’s why it fails to create the mount directory. Next time it happens check whether it is a file or a directory, and if it is a file (and it is not needed) delete the file.

ls -hal /mnt/backup-bekap_aktivnost

You were right, but a strange situation with the folder privileges and ownership, I see such a situation for the first time. I can’t do nothing with chown or chmod.

Screenshot from 2021-08-26 22-31-15

I have recreated a new backup, and will see if similar issue happens.Thanks for the tip.

To me it looks like an fsck is in place…
Only seen these strange ??? if a file system is in distress (ie corrupt inodes).
This being said, if true, one should question the reliability of the backup medium…

https://linux.die.net/man/8/fsck

2 Likes