Is there a HOWTO to set up FTP to use a shared folder on an AD system?

NethServer Version: 7.4
Module: FTP + AD

GOAL: I have an old Toshiba eStudio 165. It scans but can only send scans to another computer via FTP or (old) SMB. It does not work with Active Directory. I want scans to show up in a shared directory that users can access (read and write).

I have a Nethserver set up as an AD DC and file server.

I found the following existing topics:

FTP Access and vsftpd user list
Vsftpd with system users and samba4 AD on different machine
vsftpd system users and the need for a public folder

I think most of the information I need is buried in these topics, but I cannot see how to put it all together. Has anyone done this?

I can set up shared directories for users.

I can set up a system user for FTP (at least I see how that is supposed to work in some of the above topics).

What I do not see is how to set up a shared directory and have FTP write to that. Do I need to do as was done in the last topic and manually bind mount???

Thanks for any ideas anyone has!

No, it’s if you need to serve the AD users home shares via FTP.
In your case you may just setup a guest writable share named “scan” on your Nethserver and just create an FTP user with custom chroot directory to the samba shared folder /var/lib/nethserver/ibay/scan:

1 Like

Thanks! This looks like what I needed!

I will try this out later today and report back.

Only if you require everybody using their own account instead of a publicly known ftp user and password.

To me, that scenario is a no-go. I need every user using their AD credentials to log on to the FTP(es) but then having access to a public FTP folder. That requires a bind-mount.

1 Like

It works! One of the key things was to make the share accessible by the guest user (writable!). I missed that you had that in the instructions at first and spent an embarrassingly long time trying to figure it out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like