IPX over OpenVPN Warrior

Hello,

I had installed a Novell Server version 6.5 with IP and IPX protocol. I had set OpenVPN Warrior in bridge mode.

I have ping between Server and Client but I cant see IPX Packets.

My client is a Windows XP.

With no OpenVPN it works wells, but I cant pass IPX over NethServer.

Could any of us help me?

IPX traffic between LAN interfaces is not working too :frowning_face:

Hi Jesus, and welcome to NethServer community!

I don’t know why it doesn’t work, but IPX sounds like an “ancient” protocol… Can you switch to TCP as alternative?

Maybe the shorewall configuration blocks IPX frames?

I don’t know Novell, but I can surely say winxp is an outdated system…

IPX does not only sound like an ancient protocol, it IS an ancient protocol. A very nice protocol, but indeed ancient. a 15-ish years ago I worked with Novell servers and even back then we needed to install additional packages to be able to make (for instance) windows clients be able to communicate with the Novell servers. Especially the NDS account provider (much more sofisticate than AD!) had so many great features.
Some reading on the windows client for Novell: https://www.novell.com/documentation/windows_client/

To get back on topic: @Jesus_Chavez_Bastias, just to satisfy my curiosity, why you decided to use a Novell 6.5 server for your infrastructure? Back in 2003 Novell already moved towards a Linux kernel based environment and leaving most of the ‘old’ Novell ecosystem (inlcuding the IPX-SPX protocols) So to reinstate such a system now is (IMO) quite odd. Chances are that you will find it difficult to find support for the IPX protocol in the first place…

1 Like

Indeed, is IPX routable by itself in the first place…

I don’t think that CentOS recognize/support IPX.
Do Novell support any VPN protocol? Maybe… you can have an IPSec direct connection with your server.
Or connect via OpenVPN to Novell Server via IP.

Exist applications mounted over Novell yet sadly. In all Wikis, forum, etc, it says “OpenVPN tap connection support all protocols such as IPX, AppleTalk, etc.” even in OpenVPN documentation but it doesnt work really.

I am trying to conenct my novell server from the same network (using Nethserver as DHCP Server) and it works correctly with IP and IPX to access to my Novell Server, but from differents lan segments connected to nethserver dont work.

Same case with OpenVPN, with TAP and using a bridge with VPN and LAN interfaces, is not working, IPX is not passing into Nethserver.

Try to do that. will be a free headache and that case if you try and fail… welcome to my world :slight_smile:

By IP, when OpenVPN is connected, the PING to Novell Server is lost, no reply, but I can PING to all network less my Novell Server (for example PING to Gateway, etc).

When OpenVPN is disconnected, PING is returned to my Novell Server.

Well, after one week to try and try and try… I fixed the problem!. When you work with some virtualization such as Virtualbox, VMWare, etc. PLEASE! dont forget enable the “PROMISCUOS MODE” in each ethernet card when you use OpenVPN.

Greetings…

2 Likes

Great! And how did you achieve it? Would you mind sharing some commands/settings?

1 Like

In the past we confuguratet IPX over VPN but it not easy (from the packt side). What kind of VPN you build? When i remember correctly Client and IPX shoud be in the same IP range, so VPN must be full tranparent (same network like client IP 10.10.10.99 server IP 10.10.10.1)…

I did the folow steps.

1.- Create a OpenVPN Warrior type TAP (why TAP?, because it transport protocols layer 2 like IPX)
2.- Open port 1194 UDP in NethServer
3.- Change Virtualbox (or VMWare) Ethernet cards to promiscuos mode (Because you will transmit Broadcast and Broadcast in VirtualBox and VMWare is disabled by default).
4.- Install Novell Client over Windows XP (because XP still have IPX protocol) with custom option,and choose only IPX.
5.- Connect to VPN and Open the Novell Client and search the trees.

Axel, The same IP segment is correct because you VPN connection is a Bridge Connection.

Done.

3 Likes

Isn’t that opened automatically when OpenVPN is installed?

Why? Novell Server 6.5 do not support IPX over IP?

IP is supported by Novell 6.5, but in my case, I cant use IP for some legacy applications yet.

Yes, It is open

1 Like

Hello Jesus

first IPX is a very old novell protokoll an had nothing to do with IP or TCP or UDP or anthing else…

Normaly there must a vergood reason to use it.

I thing 32 Bit windows can use IPX client … A nice support you find withn XP, later it will complicated.

http://www.solemnwarning.net/ipxwrapper/

Normaly you need a direct contakt between the NICS. Than IPX will be transported.

VPN / OpenVPN there are 2 types of contacts tap and tun. Tunnel is tun and a IP Connect that cant working. With Tap you had a chance. Normaly tap let fly the complete (mostly) Ethernet packages across the VPN. Tun uses only the smaller UIP packages.

I didnt know how long the latency is over VPN. That can be a problem. Try it first with a TAP VPN in your local Network before using the Internet …

and a serach like IPX over VPN can be helpfull

https://radmin-club.com/other-games/how-to-play-ipx-games-over-the-internet-using-radmin-vpn/

Thats all i know know …

@Jesus_Chavez_Bastias
@Axel

Hi Jesus, Hi Axel

Sry to be so late to join this conversation, but as one of the few still operating Novell Netware, I feel obliged to provide some input.

NetWare 6.5 kann Bridge IPX segments via IP segments, it’s a further development of their old IPX over IP using encapulation. This was introduced already in NW4.11, before the introduction of PureIP in Netware 5.0…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

Hello Andy

good to know. I am stoping usig novel since 4.xx. But ists real old stuff
and i hate is in the past to … and all BNC Cabels … so faulty

@Axel

Naw, moved off from BNC a long time ago, even with NetWare 3.12…
Still kept a Segment in the Office running for tests and/or old NICs, connected to a 3Com Office Connect Switch that still supported BNC.

:slight_smile:

1 Like