Introducing new members on community - 1 Feb 16

Very happy Monday NethServer tribe!
So much excitement today! We had an amazing week-end together with our community friends at FOSDEM

But don’t let the excitement distract us from the very important task of welcoming all of the amazing new NethServer members who have joined the group recently!

For all you NethServer veterans and greeters (@Jim, @robb, @vhinzsanchez) give me a hand in making sure every single new member feels welcome and at home. Respond to their comments and show them what NethServer community is all about.

For those of you who are new here, now is your chance to say a quick hello, and tell us about yourselves.
Looking at you @POETRY2THEMIND @StreetGuru @Mike_Harris @bboyvlad @cobby @mhatton @leolemos @vitorlessati @pnemenz @web.smf @wfekry @Htillberg @Franky_Arendsz @mikabeckerich @joao.paulo @Guilherme_Silveira @Vladimir_Galindo

• Who are you?
  • What you’re working on?
  • What brings you to NethServer!
  • Do you have already tested/installed NethServer?
  • Where do you want to go?
  • What skills, resources, and knowledge do you need to get there?

Hi Guys, welcome to the community…welcome to the team. Its really nice to have more people aboard, to make the community, NethServer in General, better. We would also like to hear your thoughts, your challenges and ideas which will make NS better.

Again, hopefully, the NS has satisfied your needs, if not, or if you are encountering issues, pls. do not hesitate to share them with the community. We have very able and lively community here.

Who are you?

• VFX Supervisor/ Pipeline TD / SysAdmin at a VFX company
    What you’re working on?
  • Movies! But seriously, our LDAP/DNS server died horribly and I needed one quickly.
    What brings you to NethServer!
  • Quick and easy LDAP/DNS server
    Do you have already tested/installed NethServer?
  • Yes
    Where do you want to go?
  • Allround server for a small office
    What skills, resources, and knowledge do you need to get there?
  • hmmm, working on that
3 Likes

Hi @mhatton ,

Welcome!

[quote=“mhatton, post:4, topic:2695”]

• Movies!
    [/quote] :smile:

Were you able to get NethServer up and running?
How was your experience? Since one of the goals of NethServer is ease of setup and administration, maybe you would like to share how your setup was done…any challenges?

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome.

The setup was easy, and i had to do a second rebuild that was very easy to restore from the backup.

I am now looking into some more fine grained control and it took me a while to find related documentation for SME.

Since our work involves a lot of high bandwidth data (Some workstations are on 10g NICs) to a dedicated solaris server, I needed to reconfigure the home directories from the default location to our own one. What I don’t know is how much I can mess with stuff under the hood before it breaks the system, including the web UI.

In some ways the web UI is a little too basic, but it certainly is getting there.

Michael

1 Like

Breaking the system is hard, most of the configuration files are templates so it’s very likely that you can revert the system with a simple signal-event.

Do you mean this?

Can you suggest us some improvements? Why is it too basic?

Do you have any ideas? We’d love to hear those to make NethServer better. Without suggestions, NethServer may have been stuck since inception. Our developers here are all ears and without ideas, suggestions, it may not have gotten to where it is now.

1 Like

OK, after installing Nethserver under some serious duress, I am finally figuring out that its even better than I thought. It took me a while to find the docs though.
Is there a TLDR version of the e-smith docs, especially for those of us who have to use it in severe anger :slight_smile:

WRT to the web UI, if you’re going to keep it simple (simple is good, BTW), please put documentation in the Help menu as to how to deal with more complex setups.

1 Like

Which kind of duress?

Yeah, happy to hear your insights, How can we improve this path over the doc? Any suggestion?

If I understand correctly you need some easy FAQs and not a long doc? Which kind of topics you’d like to be covered?

Which kind of duress?

recreating an LDAP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, FTP server for a small business
after their old system got fried (and no backups). Had to recreate
everything quickly.

I am finally figuring out that its even better than I thought. It
took me a while to find the docs though

Yeah, happy to hear your insights, How can we improve this path over
the doc? Any suggestion?

There is no reference to templates or e-smith in the Admin docs. This
should be listed as feature! Simple systems are great, but people want
to know that they can dig into the guts of a system if they have to.

Is there a TLDR version of the e-smith docs, especially for those
of us who have to use it in severe anger

If I understand correctly you need some easy FAQs and not a long doc?
Which kind of topics you’d like to be covered?

A link to an introduction on the e-smith/templates would be good. It
took a fair amount of googling to find my way back to the Dev docs.
A link in each help section to advanced configuration would also be good.

Maybe is hard to find :sweat: but here you are all the information on e-smith layer:

How are you Micheal? Still learning NethServer or have you played with some real installations yet?

I am good. We are using it in production - working well now that I know how to get more detailed stuff configured. I have run out of time to figure some stuff out so I have left it as is. Like why are Users/Groups seem to be switched

Michael Hatton

1 Like

Glad to hear this. Any future plans?

[alefattorini] alefattorini
http://community.nethserver.org/users/alefattorini Alessio Fattorini
http://community.nethserver.org/users/alefattorini Community Guy
March 3
mhatton:

OK, after installing Nethserver under some serious duress

Which kind of duress?

recreating an LDAP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, FTP server for a small business
after their old system got fried (and no backups). Had to recreate
everything quickly.

mhatton:

I am finally figuring out that its even better than I thought. It
took me a while to find the docs though

Yeah, happy to hear your insights, How can we improve this path over
the doc? Any suggestion?

There is no reference to templates or e-smith in the Admin docs. This
should be listed as feature! Simple systems are great, but people want
to know that they can dig into the guts of a system if they have to.

mhatton:

Is there a TLDR version of the e-smith docs, especially for those
of us who have to use it in severe anger

If I understand correctly you need some easy FAQs and not a long doc?
Which kind of topics you’d like to be covered?

A link to an introduction on the e-smith/templates would be good. It
took a fair amount of googling to find my way back to the Dev docs.
A link in each help section to advanced configuration would also be good.