Internet Browsing Issues while using Web Proxy

webproxy
v7

(Juan Carlos Fernandez) #1

NethServer Version: 7.5.1804 (final)
Module:

I’ve been having issues with Internet browsing through Squid (way before posting this issue, so I think is not related), from connection timeout in clients browsers (Firefox mostly), to slow pages rendering and proxy error form client browser.
I believe this issue might be related to DNS resolution, DNS response taking to long or Squid trying to use IPv6 and then changing to IPv4.

Is there a way to check this for sure?

(Markus Neuberger) #2

Maybe there’s some info about the error in the squid logfiles?

• /var/log/squid/cache.log
  • /var/log/squid/access.log

You may check the DNS with nslookup nethserver.org or in web UI diagnostics panel.

(Juan Carlos Fernandez) #3

Ok so after checking squid cache log (I might need help for finding error or anything wrong on access log :sweat:) I found this repeating over and over.

kid1| ipcacheParse: No Address records in response to '...'

This goes for a lot of sites, I’m putting here a piece of cache log. A quick google search tells me this might be related to DNS issues, but I’m clueless of what to do next.

(Filippo Carletti) #4

If possible, I’d check the logs of the DNS server.
Or use tcpdump to sniff traffic to/from the DNS.
Or use a different DNS.

(Juan Carlos Fernandez) #5

@filippo_carletti thanks for helping out.

Where are this logs, I checked /var/log/* and found no trace of dnsmasq logs, I currently have my gateway/proxy NS7 pointing to the following DNS servers:

(Filippo Carletti) #6

I’d leave only one of them, let’s start with 8.8.8.8, which is used by a lot of people and never gave problems.

(Juan Carlos Fernandez) #7

So, I did two things:

1. As @filippo_carletti told me, I put Google DNS only:
config set dns configuration NameServers 8.8.8.8
signal-event nethserver-dnsmasq-save
  1. On my AD DNS increased timeout response to 10 seconds

I did this yesterday on so far no one has complained again, should thing keeps like this, this week I will put this as solved.
BTW, I have a question, while using proxy, who actually ask for URL DNS resolution? Is it the client PC or the proxy service?

(Markus Neuberger) #8

The proxy service.