Installing Migration to NS8 threw error

Installing the “Migration to NS8” package ended with:

Following the instructions and running the command gave:

[root@Nethserver ~]#  echo '{"action":"install","packages":["@nethserver-ns8-migration"]}' | /usr/bin/setsid /usr/bin/sudo /usr/libexec/nethserver/api/system-packages/update | jq
{
  "state": "running",
  "steps": -1,
  "event": "Initialization"
}
{
  "event": "Resolving RPM dependencies"
}
{
  "event": "Downloading Packages"
}
{
  "event": "Running Test Transaction"
}
{
  "event": "Running Transaction"
}
{
  "status": "success",
  "event": "Transaction end"
}
{
  "state": "success"
}
[root@Nethserver ~]#

Looking at the UI, the application does show up in the Applications tab.

Is there any way to check that it’s fully installed correctly.

Cheers.

I think it’s a cosmetic cockpit bug, in most cases the app is installed correctly.

To check if the rpm is installed:

[root@testserver ~]# rpm -qa "*migration*"
nethserver-ns8-migration-1.0.1-1.ns7.x86_64
1 Like

Yeah, we’re good.

Well, sorta, because running the migration task trashed my Wireguard configuration. Not sure it’s a good idea to assume that customers don’t customise their servers with software that isn’t in the NS repository.

Cheers.

That’s strange, I will try to reproduce.
Maybe you have some issue on the yum config?
Try to execute the following and check if any repo has errors:

yum clean all
yum ypdate

You’re right: I completely missed the community module.
Do you think we should improve the package to conflict with nethserver-wireguard? /cc @mrmarkuz

1 Like

The module doesn’t work well because of a bad UI. I think most Neth7 wireguard users just installed wireguard manually as described here: Wireguard support in Nethserver - #11 by mrmarkuz

1 Like

So maybe we can add a note inside the ns8 documentation?

What do you think Eddie?

Either check for the existence of wg0.conf and/or use a random/known name that folks wouldn’t have picked themselves, NethMigrate.conf or something.

Oh, and maybe a doc warning as well.

Cheers.

1 Like

Using Software Center on NS7 to install Migration to NS8 Beta failed. The command running, according to the popup was:

echo ‘{“action”:“install”,“packages”:[“@nethserver-ns8-migration”]}’ | /usr/bin/setsid /usr/bin/sudo /usr/libexec/nethserver/api/system-packages/update | jq

Looking in syslog, I found this:

Nov 25 18:24:15 Nethserver root: ERROR:Shorewall restart failed
Nov 25 18:24:15 Nethserver esmith::event[20369]: [ERROR] Shorewall restart: Comp
iling using Shorewall 5.1.10.2…
Nov 25 18:24:15 Nethserver esmith::event[20369]: Processing /etc/shorewall/param
s …
Nov 25 18:24:15 Nethserver esmith::event[20369]: Processing /etc/shorewall/shore
wall.conf…
Nov 25 18:24:15 Nethserver esmith::event[20369]: Loading Modules…
Nov 25 18:24:15 Nethserver esmith::event[20369]: Compiling /etc/shorewall/zones.

Nov 25 18:24:15 Nethserver esmith::event[20369]: Compiling /etc/shorewall/interf
aces…
Nov 25 18:24:15 Nethserver esmith::event[20369]: ERROR: Duplicate Interface (w
g+) /etc/shorewall/interfaces (line 40)
Nov 25 18:24:15 Nethserver esmith::event[20369]: Action: /etc/e-smith/events/net
hserver-firewall-base-save/S89nethserver-shorewall-restart FAILED: 1 [0.695396]
Nov 25 18:24:15 Nethserver systemd: Reloading.

It looks like the install added the following file: /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/shorewall/interfaces/50wireguard

loc wg+ optional

The only problem is I have this: /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/shorewall/interfaces/90wireguard

wg wg+

I guess the updates following my previous problem aren’t fully taking into account that WireGuard could already be installed.

Cheers,
Eddie

2 Likes

Hi Eddie

I’m sorry, I lost this thread (where I merged your latest one). It is still an open issue!

We can avoid this Shorewall error by fixing nethserver-ns8-migration, but a conflict on wg0 interface might still be raised.

IIUC wg0 is handled by both nethserver-wireguard from @mrmarkuz repository and nethserver-ns8-migration.

I’m afraid there is no easy way to change the interface name on existing nethserver-ns8-migration installations.

If we change interface name used by nethserver-ns8-migration, we still have wg0 conflict because the package must also remove the old file name, wg0.conf.

The only solutions I see by now are

1. declaring nethserver-wireguard a conflicting package for nethserver-ns8-migration, preventing the installation of the migration tool, OR

2. allowing the installation of both packages, but nethserver-ns8-migration unconditionally overwrites any wg0 configuration

I hope you have better ideas! What do you think?

2 Likes

Why. Most people do follow the convention of naming their interfaces wg[0-9], but that’s not mandatory. Call your interface ns8migration or something similar.

Don’t, leave it alone. Just make sure your name doesn’t conflict. (Change the name on base NS8).

Also, not everyone with WG is using the version from @mrmarkuz.

Lastly it looked like as part of nethserver-ns8-migration you install a copy of the WireGuard module. Is there not a way to check if the system is already running a kernel version that includes WG.

Cheers.

Ok you see more alternatives I can try. If we find a working one, can I count on you to test it?

I’ll do what I can, but I’ll have to warn you that I have a very strange setup.

I only have a single NIC and I followed some instructions I found on the board as how to configure that, like a VPS, but can’t remember what was needed. Also, as well as the NS defined br0 bridge, I also have configured br0.20 in order to bridge across 2 VLANS (again, I can’t remember exactly how that was done :worried:)

Cheers.

Filed a bug Migration tool wg0 interface name conflict · Issue #6782 · NethServer/dev · GitHub

2 Likes

If you want to try again, please follow this procedure, thank you!

WooHoo:

And my WG configuration is still intact. :clap: Maybe consider a similar change in NS8 for the interface name.

Now I’ll open a new ticket for the mail service on NS8.

Cheers.

2 Likes