Installation on Dell server RAID problems

Attempting new installation of Nethserver 7 on Dell Poweredge r620. Hard drives have been configured as RAID0 by PERC controller. Installer sees the virtual disks as having no space available and stops. Does anyone know how to get around this?

Dell PowerEdge R620 officially supports/is being supported from CentOS 7?

Apparently there is no support from either side. Dell mentions mostly RedHat. Centos, I can find nothing that would help. The problem seems to be the RAID controller, an LSI PERC H710. Some people apparently have been able to make it work,but not I. Tried RAID 0, 1, 10 and no RAID nothing was accepted.

@vbn

RedHat Enterprise Linux V7 is the basis for Centos7.
Anything that RHEL7 will run on, so will Centos7 and NethServer…

My 2 cents
Andy

Compatibility do not mean “works out of the box from the ISO”, either RHEL 7 or CentOS7.

As said above, Dell’s instructions for rhel 7 should apply to NS7 too.

RAID controllers often need the vendor module (driver) to work.

In some cases I heard of people disabling the RAID hardware controller and configuring the RAID software provided by Linux.

1 Like

Needed for using ZFS (eg on Proxmox, underneath NethServer… :slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

We use a PowerEdge R610 as a Hypervisor (Proxmox based on debian 11) and a few Nethserver 7.9 as VMs, this works very well for us…

Raid10 is used to get more writeperformance for the VMs…

Could this be a solution for you?

I think I will take the step to learn Proxmox and go that route.
Thank you all for your input.

1 Like

@vbn

Hi Valther

I think this is one of those things you regret not looking at earlier!

If yu have any questions, drop me a PM…

This might help:
https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=userguide:nethserver_and_proxmox

My 2 cents
Andy

Thanks, appreciate the link. I just installed Proxmox (I learn quicker by doing) and it had no problems with the Dell RAID setup.

2 Likes