Install Nethserver on CentOS 7 armhf?

Hi Fausp!

First off, I’m not a Nethserver user myself (yet?), I stumbled across this community while looking for help on a unrelated issue. Looks like a nice OS however, might try it out:). Didn’t know whether I needed to message your privately or respond here, let me know and I’ll adapt it.

I came across this post while trying to get OPNsense to work on my pimox, you shared a screenshot of your succes with 21.7. Would you mind providing me with some information or links as to how you got it working (yrzr’s image?).

Since last week I’ve been searching for a way to get OPNsense to work with my pi after I saw that they are using ARM processors in their lower-end routers. The idea is to put my pi in front of my homelab (throughput isn’t a concern) with 2 usb-eth adapters to retain acces to the pve-webui.

Would you happen to know if updating from 21.7 to 22.1 is possible, I doubt it since it’s based on a new FreeBSD version & compatibility in general but it’s worth a question.

Thanks for showing it’s at least possible! This was the first thread I found with a success OPNsense on proxmox on pi I believe. Would I be able to find you on GitHub?

One last thing, do you think there is the slightest possibility of getting freebsd13 on pi and installing OPNsense 22.1 on top to boot?
The pi is more than capable of handling my ISP speeds and putting it (with opns) between my modem and switch would mean I could remove 3 services from each of my 4 other nodes (less configuration, yay)

Hi @Jppp, welcome to the Nethserver Community…

I am sorry, I do not have any documentation abt… I and found out that OPNsense on Pimox is just not powerfull enough (for me), and maybe also to risky for production…

3 Likes

Hi @Jppp

I use OPNsense for all of my about 30 clients.
Most of them are using a PCengines APU 4d4 (Quad core AMD SoC, 4 GB RAM, 4 Intel NICs and a 120 GB SSD).

These are nice, quiet, and if you ever have issues with your server, you still have Internet to check and fix your issue… :slight_smile:

At the moment, like a lot of stuff, they’re in short supply, but if you must have one, they are available (Send mail to shop…).

These can easily handle up to 500 Mbit/s uplink, and 25 users…

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

I understand! Thanks for your response anyhow.

It’s more about tinkering than productivity for me, my lab is behind our shared router anyway; a single cat-cable enters my homelab via an oem managed switch which has a annoying interface and no ssh/cli. Maybe I’ll save up some money for a Intel atom or something alike, however I’d like to make due with what I’ve got…

What do you think of OpenWRT as replacement for Opnsense?

Hi

OpenWRT is quite useful as a AP.
As a firewall? The GUI is more than minimalistic as a firewall…

I use 2 OpenWRTs at home for WLan…

My 2 cents
Andy

~€200 sounds like a good price for the hardware! I just spend €90 on adapters and stuff on my pi, so it’s surely a better deal, how would you say they compare power-wise? 6-12W seems almost impossible with that hardware imo

See the Power Brick, it’s about 24W… (Max…)
Normal use is much less!

:slight_smile: