Increase limit on email forwards, SOGo / dovecot

NethServer Version: 7.5
Module: SOGo / dovecot

I am using email forwarding in SOGo to distribute emails to a group of 30ish people. My test with 3 or 4 forwards works, but the larger groups do not send. I located the .dovecot.sieve.log, which told me there was a maximum of 4 forwards allowed. When I went to edit the dovecot.conf file, I see that i should not edit it! Where can i change this setting so i can forward to my 30 recipients through a single forward?

You need to create a custom template, http://docs.nethserver.org/projects/nethserver-devel/en/v7/templates.html

What is the setting you want to modify, maybe the default value is not enough

1 Like

Steph is right. As alternative you can configure a mail alias with multiple recipients.

What do you want to achieve? Why sieve?

Could you describe the issue with an example?

Thanks! this looks like exactly what I need to do. This is my first attempt at trying to migrate a client from SBS 2013 to Nethserver. In exchange we create distribution lists. You can email the distribution list name, and anyone in that list gets a copy of the email. I decided to use email forwards to accomplish the same thing via SOGo, but the distribution lists contain 20-30 emails each.

The dovecot.seive.log for the email address that serves as a distribution list says: “main script: line 5: error: number of redirect actions exceeds policy limit (5 >4).” I am interpreting this to mean that the system will not forward an email to more than 4 other email addresses.

the solution I found says to add this:

sieve_max_redirects = 25

in dovecot.conf file and restart dovecot.

Thank you for the help! I am loving working on Nethserver, it is extremely well done. but I have a steep learning curve. The goal was to create a way to allow end users (teachers at a k-5 school) to edit their own email list of parents. (in Exchange this is called a distribution list) I could not see a way for teachers to edit an alias every semester, so I decided that an email forward would be a method they could edit themselves. Is there a better way to accomplish this?

I tested email forwards with 3 email addresses in an account and all worked well. the full list does not send.

1 Like

In this scenario I agree with your solution. To correctly put the sieve_max_redirects in dovecot configuration, follow the link provided by Stephane above:

If I understand the manual correctly, I should edit /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf ?

I am not able to edit either /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/dovecot.conf or /etc/e-smith/templates/dovecot.conf?

I Am SSH 'd in as root, I see that the file dovecot.conf exists and I enter the following command: vi /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/dovecot.conf my fonts go from white to blue, and says I am creating a new file?

not exactly because when we will push a new rpm your changes will be erased

mkdir  -p /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
vim /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf/50example

this will create custom template of an existant file /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf/50example
then

expand-template /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
systemctl restart dovecot

or

signal-event nethserver-mail-server-save

Thank you so much for your help. I want to make sure I understand what is happening here. This first line creates a directory called dovecot.conf. in the appropriate place. then the second line creates a file called 50example. then I add the following as the text in the file 50example

{
sieve_max_redirects = 55
}
:wq to save 50example

then run the commands to add this custom file to the dovecot template and restart dovecot?

you must copy and paste the full content of the file you want to modify, then modify the setting you want to adjust.

I do not know where is the setting you want to adjust, find it in the dovecot template

keep us in touch

Hi Stephane,

I copied the dovecot.conf file from etc/dovecot into the created directory under custom templates, added my one line into the plugins section, then ran the expand template command. this generated a ton of errors. I am assuming that the errors mean it will NOT apply the changes to the conf file? expand%20%20error
In viewing the errors, it looks like I somehow managed to get 2 /'s before the etc and that may be the source of the problem?

You have to copy the relevant file from /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/dovecot/ like

cp /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf/00example /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf/

and edit the template-custom it to fit your needs.

Notice that copying should only be done if there’s no other way because a system update of the relevant fragment will not be applied.

1 Like

Ok, now I think I comprehend. all of the files in /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf/ create what would normally be in the dovecot.conf.
After a few hours of testing adding the appropriate settings with no luck, I think that using aliases it the pragmatic best solution.

Yes sometimes, create a custom-template needs some programmer’s skill, you need to play with perl