If the option Network recycle bin is enabled, removed files are actually moved into a special “wastebasket” directory

If the option Network recycle bin is enabled, removed files are actually moved into a special “wastebasket” directory. The Keep copies of files with the same name keeps distinct file names inside the wastebasket directory, preventing overwrites.

Where is this folder?

Hi @onlitec

It’s in the share folder, you need to be domain admin to see this (And set hidden files to be visible…).

My 2 cents
Andy

I enabled the recycle bin when I created the share but it doesn’t have the files

Check the folder using linux…

If the files were deleted using Linux methods (eg SSH), they are deleted directly.

Hello, thanks for the help, I found the trash folder but the deleted files were not there, several old files were in it but these that were deleted about 10 days ago are not there, what reason could these deleted files not have gone to the trash can ?

Hi @onlitec

There could be several reasons…

• The files were deleted locally or via network using linux methods (rm, mc, ssh, scp, rsync).
  • A disk error at the time
  • Windows networking error (unlikely)
  • Windows PC hickup, maybe due to updating…
  • there are other reasons too…

To make sure it runs in future:

Check the disk of your NethServer, eg boot with SystemRescueCD, and use xfs_repair (Needs to be used on an unmounted filesystem, that’s why we use SystemRescueCD to boot) to check your disks / filesystem.

Try erasing a file (also a complete folder structure!) and see if it lands in the trashcan.

Disable / Re-Enable trashcan…

As always: make backups - and good luck!

My 2 cents
Andy

PS: You could recover the lost files from backup, if you have backups available…

1 Like