I can't install NS8 on Hyper-V in Windows 11 arm64

Hi,
I’m starting to try the new NS8. I have already performed at couple of installations to test the various features and i find the environment very interesting. Then I wanted to “bring it with me” in an installation on my laptop, a Surface Pro X.
So let’s talk about a Windows arm64 machine, always with Hyper-V as hypervisor.
I performed the same steps in all the installations successful on Hyper-V, always using clean CentOS Stream 9 as base OS. However, on my Surface the installation fails with the following error:
"Running Setup.py Install for Cchardet … Error
Error: Subprocess-Exited-With-Error

× Running Setup.py Install for Cchardet Did Not Run Successfully.
│ Exit Code: 1 "
Any suggestions?
Greetings.

Alberto Grasso

Here the installation sequence near error

Requirement already satisfied: setuptools in /usr/local/agent/pyenv/lib/python3.9/site-packages (from jsonschema==3.2.0->-r /etc/nethserver/pythonreq.txt (line 29)) (63.1.0)
Collecting pyrsistent>=0.14.0
Downloading pyrsistent-0.18.1.tar.gz (100 kB)
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 100.5/100.5 kB 4.3 MB/s eta 0:00:00
Installing build dependencies … done
Getting requirements to build wheel … done
Preparing metadata (pyproject.toml) … done
Using legacy ‘setup.py install’ for cchardet, since package ‘wheel’ is not installed.
Using legacy ‘setup.py install’ for psutil, since package ‘wheel’ is not installed.
Building wheels for collected packages: pyrsistent
Building wheel for pyrsistent (pyproject.toml) … done
Created wheel for pyrsistent: filename=pyrsistent-0.18.1-cp39-cp39-linux_aarch64.whl size=56386 sha256=c8324ff9d4ddf43044da3192f52ed50c4fed1eec0e6309b48cd31873f4313581
Stored in directory: /root/.cache/pip/wheels/87/fe/e6/fc8deeb581a41e462eafaf19fee96f51cdc8391e0be1c8088a
Successfully built pyrsistent
Installing collected packages: typing-extensions, pyasn1, certifi, cchardet, urllib3, six, semver, redis, pyrsistent, pycparser, psutil, multidict, MarkupSafe, ldap3, idna, hiredis, dnspython, chardet, attrs, async-timeout, yarl, requests,jsonschema, Jinja2, cffi, aioredis, pycares, brotlipy, aiohttp, aiodns
Running setup.py install for cchardet … error
error: subprocess-exited-with-error

× Running setup.py install for cchardet did not run successfully.
│ exit code: 1
╰─> [21 lines of output]
running install
/usr/local/agent/pyenv/lib64/python3.9/site-packages/setuptools/command/install.py:34: SetuptoolsDeprecationWarning: setup.py install is deprecated. Use build and pip and other standards-based tools.
warnings.warn(
running build
running build_py
creating build
creating build/lib.linux-aarch64-cpython-39
creating build/lib.linux-aarch64-cpython-39/cchardet
copying src/cchardet/init.py → build/lib.linux-aarch64-cpython-39/cchardet
copying src/cchardet/version.py → build/lib.linux-aarch64-cpython-39/cchardet
running build_ext
building ‘cchardet._cchardet’ extension
creating build/temp.linux-aarch64-cpython-39
creating build/temp.linux-aarch64-cpython-39/src
creating build/temp.linux-aarch64-cpython-39/src/cchardet
creating build/temp.linux-aarch64-cpython-39/src/ext
creating build/temp.linux-aarch64-cpython-39/src/ext/uchardet
creating build/temp.linux-aarch64-cpython-39/src/ext/uchardet/src
creating build/temp.linux-aarch64-cpython-39/src/ext/uchardet/src/LangModels
gcc -Wno-unused-result -Wsign-compare -DDYNAMIC_ANNOTATIONS_ENABLED=1 -DNDEBUG -O2 -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fstack-protector-strong -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -fwrapv -O2 -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fstack-protector-strong -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -fwrapv -O2 -fexceptions -g -grecord-gcc-switches -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -fstack-protector-strong -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC -fwrapv -fPIC -Isrc/ext/uchardet/src -I/usr/local/agent/pyenv/include -I/usr/include/python3.9 -c src/cchardet/_cchardet.cpp -o build/temp.linux-aarch64-cpython-39/src/cchardet/_cchardet.o
error: command ‘gcc’ failed: No such file or directory
[end of output]

note: This error originates from a subprocess, and is likely not a problem with pip.
error: legacy-install-failure

× Encountered error while trying to install package.
╰─> cchardet

note: This is an issue with the package mentioned above, not pip.
hint: See above for output from the failure.

Hi Alberto, thank you for testing ns8 on the ARM architecture. We must confess we didn’t it yet!

The pip command didn’t find a package already compiled for ARM and is attempting to compile it with GCC.

After solving this issue, probably you’re finding more!

I can’t help you now to sort it out. Hopefully someone interested in the ARM support will step in :pray:

I’d like multi-arch support for ns8 but it’s not my priority. It’s maybe better to state it somewhere…

Hi Davide,

I’d like multi-arch support for ns8 but it’s not my priority. It’s maybe better to state it somewhere…

I undersand it very well!
I tryed the installation because in the FAQ area of NS8 QuickStart is instead declared that all architectures of the OS ued as base are supported.
Certainly this will happen in the future.
Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, hopefully more arches will be supported by ns8 in the future.

People from this community like you started to test ns7 on ARM and did a great job: they finally build ARM support for ns7!

Meanwhile it’s better to clarify the current state:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.