How to deal with *.rpmnew-files?

NethServer Version: 7.8
Module: webserver, mail, webtop, firewall, IPS, Thread Shield, Fail2ban, Nextcloud, VPN, Crontab Manager,

To I was noticed by anacron mail that…

/etc/cron.daily/0yum-daily.cron:

warning: /etc/logrotate.d/suricata created as /etc/logrotate.d/suricata.rpmnew
warning: /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml created as /etc/suricata/suricata.yaml.rpmnew

The content of the files is not interpretable for me.
best regards, Marko

How to handle rpmnew/rpmsave files:

The same applies to NethServer but with some particularities because of templates:

Both files (without the .rpmnew in the name) are generated from e-smith templates. So, in principle you can discard/remove their .rpmnew counterparts (if not done by the update). But checking differences doesn’t hurt (in case some new setting is missing on the templates, and therefore would be advisable to raise a bug report).

2 Likes

Thank you Marc.
I will delete the files.
The template-system is a black hole for me and I can not and would not crossing the event horizon.

But checking differences doesn’t hurt (in case some new setting is missing on the templates, and therefore would be advisable to raise a bug report).

Yes, there are differences. But I cannot decide which content should now be new, lasting one, and which not.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer to a question which is surely banal for you, Marko

Not banal at all. I had the same question in the past (so I’d above links saved for reference), and might forget as well once again.

2 Likes