How to connect to Nethserver's Samba server from a linux client?

NethServer Version: 7.4.1708 (Final)
Module: Samba DC version 4.6.11

The Nethserver Samba setup is working great for the Windows computers in my network, but I have a Linux machine that is not connecting the way I’d like. What I want is to have the Samba share mounted at boot time. In the past I’ve set up my workstation with a line in /etc/fstab that looks like this

//SERVER/Photos		/mnt/photos	cifs	rw,x-systemd.automount,_netdev,credentials=/etc/.credentials		0 0

…but that is not working with the Nethserver server. What I can do is “Browse Network”, see the share, enter my credentials, and connect. That works, but I’d prefer the share to be mounted and ready to use every time I use the workstation. Any help would be appreciated!

I use this string in /etc/fstab in a Nethserver NG 7.4 to connect to a samba share located in a Nethserver NG 6.9 and it works great:

//server/photos /mnt/photos     cifs    credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,_netdev,nounix,noperm,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw 0 0

/root/.smbcredentials looks like:

username=userShare
password=passwordShare
domain=server

then

chmod 644 /root/.smbcredentials
chown root:root /root/.smbcredentials
2 Likes

Isn’t it true that as soon you are not on the llan, you get all kinds of error messages that the share can’t be contacted if you add it to fstab?
i just created shortcuts n files application. If you cuoose to store credentials for ever, you get nstant accss, otherwise you need to pass credentials each tme you cnnect.

I found this link with a brief explanation how system try to connect to network shares after the lan connections are up:

http://codingberg.com/linux/systemd_when_to_use_netdev_mount_option