How to change default Mail address for ldap users

NethServer Version: 7.3.1611
Module: Mail LDAP

Hi there,

I setup a mail server with ldap (domain1.com) user authentication. The problem is that my ldap domain is different than from the mail addresse (multiple) that will be associated with the users. I have some users that will use domain2.com as default and others domain3.com. Domain1.com will only be used for the ldap login.
If I create a user the default address from which the user sends mails is now user@domain1.com. But I would like to tell them that some user send mails default with @domain2.com or domain3.com. I know I can handle that with identities but that means I have to manually setup each and every client for all users. Is there a way to set this on the server?

Thank you for the help.

Best regards
Dan

The mail field inside LDAP is used only from web client like roundcube.
You can’t force the sender server-side.

Still, you can change the mail attribute using ldapmodify command or a LDAP web interface.

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. I have some question regarding your response:

What do you mean by the LDAP web interface? Do I need to install another LDAP gui? I didn’t find any settings in the user management panel to set a mail attribute. Unless I misunderstood something (or looked at the wrong places).

I am aware that I can set this on the client (roundcube) via identities. However, there I have the problem that I need to set up every client from every user individually. Some of them use IMAP combined with Mail Software such as thunderbird or emclient. I need to set it on the server side otherwise there is no end to administration of all those devices (mobiles, pc’s, tablets,…).

Cheers
Dan

You can use any tool which let you modify the LDAP, like command line tool ldapmodify.
Or a web interface like Easy LDAP management | LDAP Account Manager (see also the howto for NethServer)

The identity must be set on the client, there is no other way (at least I don’t know it).
If there is better solution, I bet @davidep or @filippo_carletti will drop it here :wink: