How have you known about NethServer?

Hello,

Of course, from Zentyal Forum! :wink:

As I said here:

ā€œI read about NethServer on ZENTYAL forum and I want to try it.
Till now I like it. And the NethServer Team! They read and answer on this forum! WOW!ā€

AND I STILL LIKE NS!

2 Likes

Hi, I have small home network, 9 mac miniā€™s, 3 linux machines, two windows and several NAS devices giving 140TB of storage.
Part of my day to day life, is doing the coal face grind of a Senior Software Developer. The remainder is carved between family and tinkling with my growing ā€˜Command Centreā€™ has my partner calls it.
I came across Nethserver when looking for a server only os, my requirement was a thin os , with no fancy colour rich, notification nagged, glizzy interface.
I first tried Nethserver on a Parallels install on one of the test Mac minis.
I was astounded who quickly an deasy it was to install. The question now was what can I do with?
How restricted is it?
How difficult is it to administer?
I found the documentation a little lite on the info I needed, but after a few Google searches I found enough to get me up and running.
Several months on, I now have 3 servers running NethServer, the first ( and most important to me) is a sandpit machine. This I use to play with different software or configuration. I can break as often as I like and reset quickly(using a parallels snapshot).
The other two are the workhorses, they have replaced two Mac miniā€™s. The first is a Web Server/Java Container/ and LDAP service provider. I have yet to get this machine (i7 3.4Ghz 16GB ram) to get above 7% CPU usage. The Mac mini regularly hit 60%.
The second is a network monitoring service provider. I run Adagios to report on my NAS, Mac miniā€™s and a bank of switches and routers.
My Linux background started with Caldera 2.0 back in the early 2000ā€™s, I have tried a large percentage of the versions available on DistroWatch. None have really given me what I needed, perhaps, to some degree Gentoo. But spending 5 days to get the os up and running grow thin.
Nethserver has become my OS of choice for servers, itā€™s fast, lean and very capable. It would be easy to sit back and say the documentation on certain areas could be better, perhaps there is an opportunity to offer what I did to get my Adagios monitoring up and running. Including adding additional modules and what I use, configuration wise, to monitor my NAS drives.
Anyway, Iā€™ve waffled enough.
I could have just said ā€œIā€™m impressedā€, but that wouldnā€™t have done NethServer justice.
Needles to say, Iā€™d like to get involved ā€¦ some how???
Kev

4 Likes

Yep for sure you are responsible of the global warming, Iā€™m kidding, it is impressive :slight_smile:

Nethserver is a community project which needs volunteers in several places

more you are skilled, more you are valuable, and if you are a zero skilled man, then it is a good occasion to learn with developers and other involved guys.

The most harder is to start, after you wonā€™t want to stop :slight_smile:

The documentation side is often a good start to help, often when you write a good tutorial, it ends by a new module, @robb can testify :slight_smile:

You can start a project on github and ask to others for playing with you, @areguera started like this.

The most important thing to recall : do something!

1 Like

I found it in Zentyal Forum!

and Zentyal I found here:

ALARM!! thereā€™s no Nethserverā€¦:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just edited this doc with your suggestions :slight_smile: I am going to move it on the main site soon.
Any other feedback?

How can I contribute to the NethServer project?[quote=ā€œmaddin, post:24, topic:1133ā€]
ALARM!! thereā€™s no Nethserverā€¦
[/quote]

@robb already did some editing work but it wasnā€™t accepted by Wikipedia :frowning:

Yes I did. For me there is no way I can get through the arrogant behaviour of the moderators at wikipedia. Thatā€™s for me the main reason why I refuse to do any work on wikipedia.
I am glad we have a more tolerant community towards new members.

Hi Rob - greetings to Belgium

You gotta know Iā€™m notoriously paranoid!

ā€œI am glad we have a more tolerant community towards new members.ā€ - Iā€™m still looking for what I could have done wrong as a new member ā€¦: D

So, I have not looked at the others in the list by now - but what is against the request to create a separate NS-Wikipedia article to get to the list?

OK, I may not belong to the target group of NS, but I think NS is super, this simple installation (also of modules), and I am certainly not the only one who searches alternatives at Wikipedia to the one he has found so farā€¦

Hi @maddin. Donā€™t take me wrong here. I have nothing against a NethServer wikipedia page. But I am not going to be the one to fight the wikipedia moderators.
I am probably doing something wrong, but I donā€™t seem to be able to create a wikipedia page that is ā€˜acceptableā€™ in the eyes of the wikipedia police.
So, feel free to create on. Just donā€™t ask me to participate in it. I have wasted too much time and energy in creating a wikipedia page (for several opensource projects) that got deleted by the mods overthere.

We want you here :slight_smile: