How do I install Collabora and Nextcloud Office on my Nethserver to be used in Nextcloud

Hello Team,

@support_team @mrmarkuz

I’m running an up-to-date version of Nethserver 7. I’ve installed Nextcloud on my Nethserver and it also is up to date.

I’ve given up on OnlyOffice in my Nextcloud. It worked for a long while and now won’t work at all. I’ve heard of Collabora and it seems to be the replacement in Nextcloud anyway (Nextcloud Office uses it). So I’m trying to install Nextcloud Office on my Nextcloud and it seems there are pieces to install on my Nethserver as well. I’m hoping someone can help me with these steps and they don’t appear to be working.

I’ve read this wiki but it doesn’t appear to be up to date as some commands are not working:
https://docs.nethserver.org/en/v7/collabora.html

For example I tried running the command:

yum install nethserver-collabora

But I receive an error saying:
No package nethserver-collabora available.

So then I tried looking for a repo to use where this might be. I found a repo from an old wiki page made by Markus so I used this command:
yum -y install collabora-release

But I received an error again saying: No package collabora-release available.

It appears I’m at a loss as to how to install Nextcloud Office and how to install collaboara on my Nethserver.

I’m hoping someone can provide me a wiki that works or provide me the commands I need to run on my Nethserver, the apps I need to install on my Nextcloud, and the configuration changes I may need to make to get this working.

Thakn you in advance for any help you can provide me.

Hey @greavette , did you read this too? collabora [NethServer Wiki]

HTH

2 Likes

Is the NethForge repo enabled?

grep enabled /etc/yum.repos.d/NethForge.repo

You could try with

yum --enablerepo=nethforge install nethserver-collabora

3 Likes

Hello @mrmarkuz ,

I really appreciate your help. Also @LayLow I also appreciate your input.

The link to collabora [NethServer Wiki] is very old (written in 2019) and it references the nethserver wiki I mentioned in my original post. So which one do I follow?

Question 1: In the wiki I linked it mentions to have a virtual host. In my Nethserver I have the application webserver installed and I’ve added a virtualhost called myoffice.company.ca. Do I still need to run the following commands that the wiki mentions. These commands for me would then be:

config setprop coolwsd VirtualHost myoffice.company.ca
signal-event nethserver-collabora-update

Question 2: My Nethserver already has a wildcard cert installed for comany.ca. We use it for our ejabberd and our webtop mail server installed on Nethserver. Please confirm if there is anything more I need to do with my SSL cert then?

Question 3: The wiki post mentions " Collabora Online will be automatically enabled in Nextcloud if the package nethserver-nextcloud is present when the virtual host is configured". In my Nextcloud I’ve installed the apps ‘Nextcloud Office’ and the ‘Collabora Online - Built-in CODE Server’. Do I still need to run the following commands?

yum install nethserver-nextcloud
signal-event nethserver-collabora-update

Question 4: In the wiki it mentions “Collabora Online comes from the CODE edition (Collabora Office development edition).” I can run this command to list the available packages but when I run this command I see a message that says 'Erro: No matching packages to list". Do I need to install these packages if I have the app ‘Collabora Online - Built-in CODE Server’ installed?

yum list available --disablerepo=* enablerepo=collaboraoffice

I’m looking forward to trying out collabora on my Nextcloud. I’m hoping my questions are valid and you can help me with what needs to be done to get this installed and working.

Thank you.

@greavette,

What problems do you have with Onlyoffice? I’ve installed it on my Nethserver 7.9, and it’s stable. I have refrained from using Collabora after I installed it on my NS 8 test installation together with NC-Office. It’s a lame duck. Calling up an empty Word file takes forever and then breaks off, only to start after a lot of persuasion. I praise Onlyoffice for that.

Regards

Uwe

2 Likes

follow the nethserver documentation (and forget about the wiki entry)

2 Likes

The virtualhost is not needed, please delete it. It’s created by nethserver-collabora.

Yes, it’s just to configure the FQDN you want to use for collabora.

No, there’s nothing to do in your case. You’re using a wildcard cert so it should be valid for myoffice.company.ca.

Please uninstall the Nextcloud app ‘Collabora Online - Built-in CODE Server’, it’s the Nextcloud built-in Collabora and it conflicts with nethserver-collabora.

The commands are just needed if you installed nethserver-collabora without Nextcloud. In this special case it’s important to reconfigure Collabora after the Nextcloud installation.

Yes, you need to install them but they will be installed with nethserver-collabora in any case. it’s also possible to enable the CODE repository so Collabora will be included in the Software Updates, see Collabora Online — NethServer 7 Final
And as already mentioned, you really need to uninstall the NC built-in code server as nethserver-collabora is intended to work with the “external” server.

2 Likes

Thanks very much, @mrmarkuz for your helpful reply!

I’m making progress now. I’ve followed your instructions and I’ve uninstalled the Nextcloud App for the ‘Collabora Online - Built-in-CODE server’.

In my Nextcloud Administration for Nextcloud Office I see Radial Button for ‘User your own server’ is enabled, in the URL box is my virtualhost which I entered manually - myoffice.company.ca.

I then tried opening a docx document on my Nextcloud and it worked!!! I’m so happy to finally have my Nextcloud be able to edit Office Docuuments once again!

Couple of more questions for you please:

Is there a way to enable the editing of documents in a new tab so I can keep my Nextcloud tab open?
In addition to our office staff using Nextcloud, I also connect into our office via VPN. When I try and edit a document in our Nextcloud I receive an errot that says "Document loading failed. Failed to load Nextcloud Office - please try again later’. From my home computer when I enter the URL https://myoffice.company.ca I receive an error that says “403 Forbidden Request forbidden by adminisration rules”. I’m assuuming I need to enable something on my Nextcloud to allow for outside access to our network (even though I’m using VPN). Can you think of what setting change I need to make to allow me to edit documents from my home computer outside our LAN?

Thanks again @mrmarkuz

Hello @transocean , I’ve been trying for months to get OnlyOffice working on my Nethserver 7.9 with no success. I had been using OnlyOffice successfully for many years on my Nextcloud installed on Nethserver. It was an update to Nextcloud (can’t remember which one) that broke my OnlyOffice. Nothing I did from the forums and wiki’s helped me get it fixed. A friend of mine who also uses Nextcloud (but not installed on Nethserver) also could not get his OnlyOffice fixed. He, like me, had OnlyOffice working for a long time but an update to Nextcloud broke his OnlyOffice. I would have been very happy to continue to use OnlyOffice but now that I at least have Collabora working my staff can edit documents in Nextcloud once again.

2 Likes

Does myoffice.company.ca resolve to an internal IP when you’re connected via VPN? Maybe there’s still the hostname alias for “myoffice.company.ca” that was created by adding the wrong virtualhost, you can delete it.
If you need that DNS configuration it could help to add the Nextcloud config setting 'allow_local_remote_servers' => true, as explained in the wiki article for Onlyoffice.

1 Like

Nevermind…I had my DNS on my own server set wrong. I’ve upated it now to point to my Nethserver/Nextcloud and I can now access and update Office Documents from my office Nextcloud using Collabora!

Really happy now that this is working for me.

Are there any docuuments I can read up on installing fonts and using templates on Collabora? Where can I download these extra font files?

Thank you.