Help with WebTop ActiveSync and sender display name

NethServer Version: 7.9.2009
Module: WebTop 5.9

Hi, I’m new on Nethserver and WebTop, and I have a little trouble with iOs/android Exchange client configuration.
Unlike POP3/IMAP configuration, Exchange doesn’t have a field for sender display-name, it has only mail address and user/domain field.
In my environment I’ve succesfully set-up exchange client on iOs and android with this configuration:

mail address: firstname.lastname@mydomain.com
user: username@mydomain.com
domain (for iOs): blank as specified on webtop/nethserver docs

When I send mail from exchange mobile clients, sender will be:
'firstname.lastname@mydomain.com<firstname.lastname@mydomain.com>'
but I would like to send mail with specific display name:
'Firstname Lastname - My Company<firstname.lastname@mydomain.com>'
as I do in webtop web page with “display-name” field.

Any suggestion on how to make it work?
Thanks!
Giuseppe M.

Hi @giuseppe.milani AFAIK is ActiveSync for contacts and calendar, but IMAP/SMTP for email…

2 Likes

Hi @pike !
the official Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) protocol should manage not only the synchronization of calendars and contacts but also the synchronization of mail (with an IMAP connection) …

But actually, after some tests, I’m finding that on WebTop and Nethserver the mail management with Exchange has several problems…
Speaking with other people, I understand that in WebTop / Nethserver Exchange mail management is not officially supported.
It’s a real shame because with dozens of mobile clients to manage, this greatly complicates the configuration of the devices …
If it will be fully supported in the next versions, it would be fantastic!

@giuseppe.milani

Ciao Giuseppe!

Why should NethServer provide a method to connect to an Exchange Server?
MS Exchange is by Microsoft.

I myself have about 25-30 clients using NethServer.

I purposly evade anything proprietry like Active Sync. No SoGo, no WebTop, as I do NOT want to use Active Sync.

My clients (Well over hundred users!) all use NextCloud to do Contacts and Addresses (And files!).
Mail is done ONLY using IMAP/SMTP.

Most use Thunderbird for everything, some use Mac and Mac programs, some use other Groupware clients. Hardly any of my clients use or insist on Outlook!

I do have a few Outlook Diehards (Only about 10!). They use IMAP for Mail and the Nextcloud Outlook Plug-In to sync Calenders and Addresses…

All my clients employees who want the Groupware on their Mobiles have it, some explictly do not want their (private) mobile phone filled with data from the office, so an Adaptive Web-Client is important for these people.

This works VERY well, hardly any maintenence needed!

If you’re looking for MS-Exchange, that is available (With support) from Microsoft.

If you’re NOT looking for Exchange, but a working Groupware - why not use it? It’ just works!

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi @Andy_Wismer,
your point of view is very interesting.
I state that I am not an MS supporter, with the migration to NethServer I removed any Outlook client from my company (and I am happy without it).
Having a single protocol to use for configure corporate mobile clients (even throught MDM) would have allowed me to do a simpler and cleaner job, that’s all!

1 Like

Hello Giuseppe

True, MDM makes things much faster, especially with over 50 clients… :slight_smile:

Nextcloud and Android means additional Apps, also a PITA.
At least Mac and Android can both handle CalDAV and CrdDAV. And the Outlook PlugIn works for Windows Outlook Diehards.
Most MDM can handle IMAP, but as you say, just one App, add in config push does make thinge simpler.

And I’m used to the concept of “provisioning”, done that with VoIP phones, PCs Macs, Raspberries, Thin Clients and Mobile Phones…

My 2 cents
Andy