Help documenting Nextcloud performance tweaking

Hello Team,

I use Nextcloud (latest version 12.05) on our Nethserver. I’d like to ensure our Nextcloud is performing at it’s optimal. I notice on our Nethserver/Nextcloud I have the following messages on my Admin panel with regards to performance:

1. No memory cache has been configured. To enhance your performance please configure a memcache if available. Further information can be found in our documentation.
  2. or optimal performance it’s important to configure background jobs correctly. For bigger instances ‘Cron’ is the recommended setting. Please see the documentation for more information.

Looking through Nextcloud documentation I see this page which covers most of what I would need to setup to tweak our Nextcloud for optimal use. But since our Nextcloud is running on Nethserver I’m unsure how to make these changes when using Nethserver. “https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/12/admin_manual/configuration_server/security_setup_warnings.html

Has anyone documented what needs to be done to tweak Nextcloud? I’ll gladly post whatever I find. Just looking for some good starting points perhaps. I’ll dig into the Nextcloud documentation and start asking pointed questions to get things started.

Thanks!

There are some notes on the wiki.
If you have more tips don’t hesitate to share them :wink:

2 Likes

Once again the Nethserver community shows how awesome they are! Thanks very much @dnutan for help. That page allowed me to tweak my Nextcloud just as I’d hoped.

Further clarification though perhaps on the cron job use. The default is webcron but that runs only when I visit a page. I’ve read that if I use cron my Nextcloud could or should be faster experience.

But what do I do to setup cron? Do I through the command line issue the following as per the wiki:

crontab -u apache -e
And paste this line:

*/15 * * * * /opt/rh/rh-php56/root/usr/bin/php -f /usr/share/nextcloud/cron.php

and then simply change in Admin panel to cron? Is that the only cron job I need to setup?

Thank you.

Yes, your guess is right. Nextcloud apps will interact with cron.php as described in Nextcloud manual:

cron.php is an Nextcloud internal process that runs such background jobs on demand.

Nextcloud plug-in applications register actions with cron.php automatically to take care of typical housekeeping operations, such as garbage collecting of temporary files or checking for newly updated files using filescan() for externally mounted file systems.

You can schedule the cron job as better suits you, in the example it is set to run every 15 minutes.

1 Like

Is there a benefit to running the cron job more often than 15 minutes @dnutan?

I am noticing that navigating around my Nextcloud is a bit faster now so I believe these tweaks are a very good benefit. I’d say the documentation Nethserver has on their wiki for tweaking Nextcloud is excellent!

Thank you.