Has anyone been able to setup Webtop External Archive?

Has anyone been able to setup Webtop External Archive?

I have setup these fields as per Mail — WebTop 5 Documentation 5 documentation but I see nothing on the external server email account and there is no option to “External Archive”.

If I look at the log for webtop there are no entries RE external archiving.

I can not see any other documentation. Does anyone know if there is further documentation?

Nethserver’s Webtop is “custom” so some features may not exist or may not work properly.

The documentation you consulted is for the “original” version of Webtop .

For external storage try going to cockpit https://ip.of.your.nethserver:9090 and then

“Applications” → “Email (click on “Setting” button)” → “Settings (the gear icon in the center column)” → click on “Enable” just below " Forward a copy of all messages" → insert the archive email address in the field that appears just below

2 Likes

Thanks saitobenkei

Bugger. I am needing a solution to archive message off the cloud hosted email server that user have access to look up archived emails.

Piler would have been a perfect solution however it looks like has to be installed on the original email server from the wiki and I am really looking to reduce the storage requirements and archive to a local server.

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Hi @markareait

Here are a couple of suggestions…

A second server as long-term archive, running eg Piler. This could also be a VM, with easily extendible storage…

This server could get copies of all incoming and outgoing mails from the original server, either by using Imapsync or setting up the archive server in a mail pipeline using it as smarthost or forwarding for the real mail server.

ImapSync itself to a second server (VM?) could be a solution, depending on setup.

My 2 cents
Andy

2 Likes

Hi Andy,

RE: A second server as long-term archive, running eg Piler. This could also be a VM, with easily extendible storage…

I was reading the Piler documentation I found this -

" This leads to a limitation: piler will hide an email from a user if he was (only) in the Bcc: field. This limitation has another side effect related to external mailing lists. You have to maintain which user belongs to which external mailing lists, otherwise users won’t see these messages. Internal mailing lists are not a problem as long as piler can extract the membership information from openldap OR Active Directory.

Fortunately both Exchange and postfix (and probably some other MTAs, too) are able to put envelope recipients to the email, so the limitation mentioned above is solved. "

That is going to lead to issues. So I think I will give a Piler solution a miss.

RE: This server could get copies of all incoming and outgoing mails from the original server, either by using Imapsync or setting up the archive server in a mail pipeline using it as smarthost or forwarding for the real mail server.

ImapSync itself to a second server (VM?) could be a solution, depending on setup.

Would you know if Email > Connectors is used if the emails are deleted at the remote end if the local still keeps a copy? The Email > Synchronization has the option not to delete local on remote deleted emails but there auto sync “Check this accounts every” like the the Connector. Maybe a Crontab could be setup but it would be better if it could be set up with different times for different syncs.

Kind regards Mark

@markareait

Hi Mark

It is possible, as you suggest, to set configure options, there’s also the option to use e-smith / scripting…

However:

You also could switch around my Piler suggestion. The Archive (Piler) server is the main mailserver, but itself forwards the mails or uses IMAPsync to copy the mails (Incoming) to the server accessed by your users, outgoing would be handled by Smarthost…

NethServer uses Postfix…

:slight_smile:

My 2 cents
Andy

Can’t you configure the archive server (even external) to read and empty the box configured above cyclically and then archive the mail?

Usually email archiving software has this capability as well.