Guacamole Server Branding and Upgrade

Hello @mrmarkuz ,

I’ve successfully installed Guacamole Server on my Nethserver using this wiki page:

https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=guacamole

I have a couple of questions about Guacamole server on my Nethserver:

Question #1: Is there a path or instruction to how to upgrade Guacamole Server on my Nethserver?

Question #2: I see on your wiki you have instructions on how to use the Branding manager by zer0coolX. Do you recommend I unzip the branding jar (take a backup first) on my Nethserver to modify, or is it best to download the branding jar to my computer and unzip it there to make the file changes I need?

Can you help with the instruction I need to put the permissions back correctly on the branding jar when I’m finished making my changes.

Any help or direction you can provide me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

1 Like

Usually it gets updated with Software Center.

To update manually:

yum update nethserver-guacamole

To install latest testing version:

yum install https://mrmarkuz.dynu.net/mirror/devtest/nethserver-guacamole-0.0.1-10.ns7.noarch.rpm

Please snapshot/backup before upgrading.

Both methods work. On the Nethserver I used mc to edit the files in branding.jar.

1 Like

Thanks very much @mrmarkuz for your reply!

I’m familiar with MC but I didn’t think it could edit a jar file. Do I need to install anything else to be able to edit the jar file contents to add my logo and change some words? When I use mc and edit the branding.jar file all I see is executable text and not the contents of the jar file.

Thank you.

I think jar or unzip needs to be installed for mc to enter jars like directories.

2 Likes

Hello @mrmarkuz ,

I’ve done some research now on how to use/install Jar on my Nethserver. I found a reference to needing to install Java it appears I’m already running the latest version:

Package 1:java-1.7.0-openjdk-1.7.0.261-2.6.22.2.el7_8.x86_64 already installed and the latest version

If I have what’s needed, could you provide me with the instructions I need to use to open the branding.jar file so that I may edit some files for text inside the folders and then what instructions I need to use to repackage the jar file back tino branding.jar so that my Guacamole Portal login page will have the text I need displayed?

Thank youy.

It’s really simple, open mc, go to branding.jar and press ENTER. You can move in the JAR like in a directory and just press F4 to edit the files you need. To save the changes, press F2.
I didn’t need to install anything for mc to open jars on my test machine but maybe unzip is needed and was already installed…

2 Likes

Hello @mrmarkuz ,

It appears I’m missing something from my Nethserver (or from mc) to be able to do what you do. When I press enter on branding.jar I receive this error:

I then tried pressing the INSERT key to press F4 and I tried not using the INSERT key to press F4 but my screen just displayed the executable type code like this:

I then looked at my menu in mc and I’m not seeing any commands related to compressing/uncompressing jar files:

Do you have something installed on your CentOS Nethserver that allows you to edit Jar files in mc?

Thank you.

unzip needs to be installed:

yum install unzip

2 Likes

It also works with the more powerful p7zip package for common archive files. Not tested especially for jar files.

yum install p7zip p7zip-plugins

2 Likes

Thanks @mrmarkuz , that was the missing piece I needed! I’ve been able to change the text below my Guacamole Login now for our own company name.

Do you know if from mc I can change the png icon so I can insert my own icon? In mc I see two panes, Left and Right. I was trying to copy my company png file from the right into the branding.jar file on the left. Would this work? Or can you suggest a better way for me to update the logo png file?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, that should work.

1 Like

And it did work! Thanks so much @mrmarkuz for your help and direction with my post! I’ve now updated my Guacamole server with new text and our company logo on the logo page!

1 Like

BTW @mrmarkuz , regarding the upgrading of Guacamole Server on Nethserver. I’ve keep my Nethserver updated using Software Center and I haven’t noticed any upgrades to Guacamole. I issued this command as you instructed:

yum update nethserver-guacamole

But no updates are available. How do I check the current version of Guacamole Server installed on my Nethserver? On the login page, I see a small 1.5.0 in the bottom right corner. Is this current version installed?

The reason I’m asking is because I’ve noticed a problem in our Guacamole Server with regards to Authentication. I want the user to put in their username and password. I’ll supply the Domain in the Guacamole Connection Settings. What I’ve found though is whoever logs into the Connection Settings (An Admin) and updates the Connection Settings for a server we RDP into, that user’s username and password are automatically defaulted.

I wanted to leave the username and password blank so when a user (who is assigned access) to that computer connection will be asked for their username and password. Very strange how this is not working as I expected. I thought maybe there was a bug and an upgrade to Guacamole Server would fix this issue (although I looked in the release notes and I’m not seeing anything specific to my issue).

Thank you.

Sorry, I didn’t release the current version yet, it’s nethserver-guacamole-0.0.1-10 including Guacamole 1.5.4.

If you like to test it:
yum install https://mrmarkuz.dynu.net/mirror/devtest/nethserver-guacamole-0.0.1-10.ns7.noarch.rpm

Please try on a test machine or at least run a backup or snapshot before upgrading.

2 Likes

Hey @mrmarkuz , using your yum install instruction has upgraded my Guacamole now…I see a 1.5.4 in the bottom right corner of my login screen. I’ve upgraded (after taking a snapshot) and I report no issues with the upgrade of Guacamole Server running on Nethserver.

I was using this site to check the release notes on Guacamole Server. If this latest instruction you gave brings us up to 1.5.4 then we are up to the latest Guacamole version. :slight_smile:

https://guacamole.apache.org/releases/

Thanks very much for supporting Guacamole Server on Nethserver and for help ing me rebranding/skin my server for our small office.

2 Likes