Full DNS software, even via docker

You can!

1 Like

Of course you can, you can also do nested virtualization (virtualize a proxmox cluster inside a proxmox
use esxi to virtualize gns3
etc
)

1 Like

Rebellions are based on hope however the battle is already lost, the dev team is looking forward to ns8, I bet that ns7 won’t see that kind of big changes

Next week I will know better on ns8 :wink:

VMWare ESXi running inside Proxmox

Needed for historical / archiving. Novell Netware does not run in Proxmox, but does run in VMWare. (It died before drivers were made
). Like this, I don’t need additional hardware just to run a rarely used VMWare

Very stable - and I can backup the whole VMWare ESXi using Proxmox!

My 2 cents
Andy

1 Like

I use my module Pi-Hole which is container based inside a proxmox VM, just use the dhcp of your nethserver to set the dns server IP of your client to the pihole container

1 Like

It is in NS8.

Really, even aside from the fact that they’re already working hard on NS8, I wouldn’t think it at all appropriate to make such major architectural changes within the lifespan of a major release. NS7 should look and operate like NS7, and other modules should be able to expect things to operate like NS7 operates. Switching to something like this just doesn’t fit.

But in the next major release, they’ve already announced that pretty much everything’s going to be a container. The e-smith config system is gone, and configuration’s going to be handled quite differently. This seems like a prime opportunity to upgrade to a full-fledged DNS system, whichever one it might be.

It seems there are a number of threads here requesting pretty much the same, or at least overlapping, things. Here are a few (OK, several) others:

@dev_team, it really seems like there’s a lot of demand for this, and a time like this when you’re changing the entire architecture of the system anyway seems like a good time to implement it.

6 Likes

Yes, there’s room for a DNS module in NS8. Apart from the Samba DC which is an authoritative DNS, there could be an alternative authoritative DNS server implementation that could be paired with the OpenLDAP account provider.

By now I’m still pretty sure a DNS service is not (and will not be) provided by the NS8 core system. I think it is a consequence of dropping the firewall/gateway features from the NS8 core set.

4 Likes