Force SMB master browser

NethServer Version: 7.8.2003
Module: SMB
Hello,
Is there a way to force the Nethserver SMB server to be a master browser on the local network? I know it can be done by modifying the smb.conf file and adding some additional parameters, but these get overwritten every time the system runs the update scripts.

Please can an option be added to the module control panel to force the SMB server to be a master browser?

Many thanks
Bob

Hi Bob

AFAIK, as soon as AD is active, it automatically becomes the “Master Browser” in a Windows Network.

That Win10 doesn’t display the NethServer in Networks is another issue. Win10 doesn’t display NetBIOS names from the network like all other Windows before have always done.
Now, a special service is needed for this… :frowning:

My 2 cents
Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. Sorry, I should have added a bit more detail.
My home network is in Workgroup mode, not AD.
I’ve upgraded my Omnios based NAS and it now offers NetBios so those NAS shares now show up in my Win10 clients network browers, and my Linux clients network browsers!! :slight_smile:
But my linux machines keep having network elections to fight over being the Master Browser, it would be nice if the NethServer SMB server could always win the election. This can be done my setting the “os level” in the [global] section of smb.conf. I’ve tried this sort of thing before, and the NethServer e-smith scripts overwrite my custom settings. I’ve tried using custom templates but i don’t get along with them :grimacing:

Is there a way to make the NethServer SMB server a master browser via the Cockpit GUI, or could this option be added to the GUI?

regards
Bob

@bobtskutter

Hi Bob

If you know samba, you can edit the e-smith templates, AFAIK most config stuff of NethServer, like it’s predecessor are stored there…

You can copy over the basis /etc/e-smith/templates/etc/samba/smb.conf/10base to
/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/etc/samba/smb.conf/10base
(Only what you need to change!)

after that:

expand-template /etc/samba/smb.conf

Note: You would need to create the necessary folder structure under
/etc/e-smith/templates-custom/
even the etc folder, the samba folder AND the smb.conf folder. In there, find and adapt the file as needed.

-> /etc/e-smith/templates-custom/ always takes precedence over /etc/e-smith/templates/, if anything exists.

Tip: Instead of using variables, just writee in there as you would a normal smb.conf file…
May take a few tries, til you get it “just right” but should be doable!

If it doesn’t work as intended, simply erase etc/e-smith/templates-custom/ and do a
expand-template /etc/samba/smb.conf

Using the e-smith template as illustrated above is Upgrade safe and reboot safe!
Is actually VERY perisitant - until YOU remove it!

Also: Making sure you have a working backup of your system is NEVER a bad idea!

My 2 cents
Andy

Andy, thanks for the reply. I’ll see how I get on experimenting with custom templates. I’ve got a new VM host to play with so I can eventually set up a system to try some config changes on.

Right now, my nethserver logs say it’s the master browser. So that seems OK, I might just be making a whole load of noise about a few log entries!!

regards
Bob

1 Like