For Howto Make a Howto of Nethserver Modules

This a conversation About Inclusivity, at first i thought it was supposed to be in the community Section, but then again it somehow does not.

This is to enable and empowere the community to better be able to make Howto as well as installing software solutions On Nethserver, which might eventually become modules.

Over a period of time, i have followed through a number of software installations. here.
With most of them, the installation instructions follow a predefined criteria, while others is not that straight forward.

The solutions with alot of dependencies become the most complex installations to get done.
others already have install instructions for centos, its just a matter of adopting it to centos/Nethserver and the Nethserver Way of doign things.

The Nethserver Way

I think we need to efine and categorize different softwares.

For those Using a Database, and those that d not.
for those that run on a separate port and those that do not
for those that require reverse proxy and those that do not
for those that require virtualhosts and those that do not.
(am also abit confused on the difference between virtual hsots and reverse proxy)

We already have a list of Database modules supported in Nethserver,
Then we need to breakdown the software by their programming languages.

Java, Python, Nodejs, Go and PHP with the later being the most common.

I think, most php applications can just be installaed in a virtualhost, add db config details and all is set.

python, python-django and Nodejs i think not very.

Then there are those that should and can be done with docker.
The docker versions, i think there are two types, those with a docker image, and those that do not.
Documenting the basic foundations for these, will present a much easier and clearer path for any member in this community to be able to install any software and build a howto for the same

As for among the bunch, there are those that do with wget those that use Git clone

so how do we document and make a clearer path for all users.

I believe myself to be technical enough, though there are things that slightly make it tough for me, but not many.

Many of the times, i make an install request in this community because its a software that am not sure where to begin, but knowing the direction, i should be able to install it, and am sure many here face a similar situation.

Last but not least on this case, is the question surrounding configurations, how to apply the different kinds of configs, for restarting, persistency etc.

this post was inspired by this

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a good idea to ease integrating software. Iā€™m going to write down what Iā€™ve found out so far when I find timeā€¦

4 Likes

At my old job I was ask to document some procedures, Iā€™ve always tried to write them as if the person following my instructions knew nothing about computers at all.
Many of the ā€œhow toā€ articles Iā€™ve read over the years, some in the last week, assume a fair bit of knowledge on the part of the reader, Iā€™ve always felt it was best to assume the reader knows nothing at all about the process and Iā€™ve tried to go though it step by step in the hope nothing will be misunderstood.

7 Likes