Firewall entries to fix

I see entries of the type:
Sep 11 09:02:58 nethfirewall-hostname kernel: Shorewall:loc2fw:REJECT:IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=xx:yy:zz SRC=ip-address-windows-client DST=ipadress-nethfirewall-hostname LEN=30 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=128 ID=26917 PROTO=UDP SPT=52809 DPT=5351 LEN=10.

As the port 5351 is registered for NAT Port Mapping I would like to know where to change what setting in order to get rid of this entries.

Another thing I would like to eliminate is:

Sep 11 09:06:43 nethfirewall-hostname kernel: Shorewall:loc2fw:REJECT:IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=XX:YY:ZZ SRC=ip adress d-link-access-point DST=ip-address nethfirewall LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=36500 DPT=137 LEN=58

Apparently Port 137 is registered for NETBIOS Name Service - so again, where would I have to change what setting to get rid of those entries ?

IMO you should not get rid of those log entries: the firewall is telling you that is doing his job :slight_smile:

You should fix the client to avoid sending such requests to the wrong host.

1 Like

Hi Giacomo. Can you help me understand those two cases so I can learn and fix them in client site?

Hosts on your LAN are trying to a access 2 services on your firewall.
The firewall doesn’t run any service on that ports, so the traffic is rejected.

First one seems relative to PCP (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6887), but it could be anything else.
The second one is Netbios.

I do not know what clients are, so you should find yourself how to configure them.
If you can’t change the client config, it’s safe to ignore those messages :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your explanation giacomo. In a first attempt I have seen that the windows server which causes the entries of my first example (DPT=5351) had configured a fixed ip, so I changed it to dhcp as was an obvious difference to the other windows clients, but that did not help, so I will search and find out where those entries come from. :+1:

1 Like